Thread: In search of big fish in a small boat off the cape. Advice needed please

In search of big fish in a small boat off the cape. Advice needed please

G'day guys, was after some reports or advise on trolling for small marlin, tuna and wahoo from a smalll boat. Now that iv sold the bass boat and gone back to a all rounder in a polycraft 4.5 center console I'm looking to get back in to catching some large fish. I would be looking at trolling around hutchies and off the cape.

To to save some questions, yes I have quite a lot of experience in a small boat offshore and I'm aware the weather can turn to crap in no time so I would be picking my days to head out. The boat has all the safety gear as well.

i am interested in seeing if many small boats get out there and get in to the fish as there isn't a lot of reports on this topic. Marlin would be the main target as it is the a fish I'm yet to catch but have the gear needed.

so if any one could provide tips on game fishing from a small boat or if they see many small boats out there I would love to hear about it

thanks for your help

bowds13

Re: In search of big fish in a small boat off the cape. Advice needed please

where you comin gout of mate, if at mooloolaba then you arein luck, marlin only 8 to 10 mile out

Mainly scarborough as it's the closer ramp to access the northern end of moreton for me. Certainly wouldn't rule out towing the boat up the coast for a run out of mooloolabah or out of Coolum as I can house the boat overnight there at a mates holiday house.

cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Bowds...worth the drive to Mooloolaba mate....plenty small boats out on the right day....last season, plenty of little marlins caught from littler boats....not even out as far as Supa said... 5 Kim's only.....few minutes run when seas are kind...

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by bowds13 View Post
    G'day guys, was after some reports or advise on trolling for small marlin, tuna and wahoo from a smalll boat. Now that iv sold the bass boat and gone back to a all rounder in a polycraft 4.5 center console I'm looking to get back in to catching some large fish. I would be looking at trolling around hutchies and off the cape.

To to save some questions, yes I have quite a lot of experience in a small boat offshore and I'm aware the weather can turn to crap in no time so I would be picking my days to head out. The boat has all the safety gear as well.

i am interested in seeing if many small boats get out there and get in to the fish as there isn't a lot of reports on this topic. Marlin would be the main target as it is the a fish I'm yet to catch but have the gear needed.

so if any one could provide tips on game fishing from a small boat or if they see many small boats out there I would love to hear about it

thanks for your help

bowds13
    Glad you put this up Bowds as keen to hear about this subject too. Was wondering things like:

* how many lines to run, specially if fishing solo
    * how to set up boat, I've set up 4 rod holders on the back railing, two pointing straight out sideways to give some spread and two straight back, but concerned that having 4 in the spread in a small boat might = big mess
    * any special kit required (leather gloves I guess, just in case

Last year of the goldy I was running 2 rods only with 2 Paula cockies on and we has success but you have to pick your day , we were in my 4.5 mt bluefin predator and it wasn't the first time .... MattImageUploadedByTapatalk1390781707.583297.jpg
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Sounds like you are on the same page as me
    crunchy. Iv been wanting to give a marlin a shot for some time now and thought id get as many tips as possible to I'm not just out driving around aimlessly on the water.

personally I think I'll start off by running 3 rods. A short corner, a long corner and a shotgun out the back or some thing up in the prop wash. Fishing solo I would probably drop back to 2 lines.

the more I read the more I find out it's more of a art form rather than fishing haha.
    nothing beats locally knowledge though

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Glad you put this up Bowds as keen to hear about this subject too. Was wondering things like:

* how many lines to run, specially if fishing solo
    * how to set up boat, I've set up 4 rod holders on the back railing, two pointing straight out sideways to give some spread and two straight back, but concerned that having 4 in the spread in a small boat might = big mess
    * any special kit required (leather gloves I guess, just in case

only 3 lines allowed per person Crunch!

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

bowds13, I fish the Cape and elsewhere for gamefish from my 4.5 m half cab solo. Best day was 6-5-3 on marlin solo. All up about 6-8 marlin, about a dozen wahoo and countless tuna. I launch from Bribie for the Cape and Hutchies as it is the closest ramp (about 8 miles to Combie compared to 16 miles from Scarborough), and better than Mooloolaba as you come back with the NE rather than punch into it from Mooloolaba. (for some reason I can't use paragraphs here - sorry). I usually fish solo and run two lines as a general rule, 3 lines if it is slow. I don't use a teaser. I run both rods from rod riggers (i.e. 30 degrees back and about 20 degrees off the surface of the water) which gets the lures out of the prop wash and spreads the lines to reduce tangles. I run two pushers or one pusher and a hard body depending on what I am targeting and how things go on the day. I have found a mini cockroach in purple run about 7 m from the transom really effective, and usually run a lumo about 40-60 m back. (new para). If you are new to trolling, my advice is to keep away from other boats. Always mark bait schools when you find them and work them or try the area again later. I always assume other boats do not see my lines and ALWAYS let them cross in front of me. Similarly, give other boats trolling at least 100 m before you cross their wake. Troll at 6-8 knots, but changes in speed (4 -12 knots if your lures can take it) often produce a hit and worth changing lures every 1-2 hours if things are quiet and others are catching fish unless you are very confident in you lures. It is always a big rush when you get a hit and the reel screams and you look back to see your rod bent and a fish jumping. Try to keep cool. I back it off to about 3-4 knots while I clear the other line/s as fast as possible and then pick up the rod with a fish. Often the fish will be 200-300 m away by this time so it is important that you have at least 500 m of line on the reels. Keep the outboard in gear as it is important to keep the line tight. If you have a lot of line out (i.e. the fish is a long way off) I motor at 30-45 degrees towards (i.e. forwards) the fish at about 2 knots. Never directly at the fish. When the fish is close, again keep going forward at about 2 knots as this gives you better control at the boat - you can change direction to keep the fish where you want it. Make sure your gaff or tag pole and camera are handy before you set the lines. Grab the leader, put the rod in a holder with the drag backed off and gaff or whatever your fish. Give a wahoo a tap with the priest before you bring it aboard, get some shots with the camera, give a few hollers of joy, have a drink and reset the lines. That is what I do anyway.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Jeremy thank you very much for the time and effort put in to your response. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with the info I was after.

Lucky I got plenty of time with to start practice rigging up properly and setting up the boat with this oh so lovely wind the settled in

Ditto! Thanks Jeremy.

Bowds - if your keen to give it a go drop me a line and i'll join ya (in my boat I mean), I leave from scarby too but might go bribie to keep more fuel available for extra trolling.

Heaps of awesome info on peter pakulas website.. Find the bait find the fish is the best advice i can give ya mate. 95% boredom and 5% mayhem... love it!!!!
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

No worries crunchy. Will have to tee some thing up. Surely one of us would be able to catch some thing. That's providing the misses lets me go fishing. Just about to start our first house build so I don't think buying fuel to go fishing is a valid reason to spend over the budget haha.