Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fishing from boat ramp jetties

Thumbs down fishing from boat ramp jetties

I thought I'd brave the forecast yesterday & launch at Fishermans Is for a river fish - well by the time we collected some livies and settled on our spot - we virtually got blown off the water ...... so nothing to report on that front .
    What I saw when we arrived at the boat ramp had me stunned
    not only were a couple of Islander fellows fishing off the pontoon with their lines crossing the approach to the ramp - one of which ended up with a bit less line on his spool & I gained around my prop....... (I just shrugged my shoulders) but ... in conjunction there were two young lads with them that were swimming on the boat ramp (middle lane) .

Now these were tricky conditions (25knots plus) but even with gesturing with them to move - which they didn't ..... I managed to drive the boat onto the trailer .... with a big sigh of relief
    So not only did we have (I assume their parent) acting stupidly by fishing (continuing to fish) as I approached the pontoon - but allowed the kids to swim while a boat was being driven just a few meters away.

As this is a bit of a whinge ..... when are they going to ban fishing off pontoons at boat ramps ? That goes for cast netting off them - I'm sick and tired of nearly going for a slide on mud covered pontoons due to cast netters. clearly the stupidity & often selfishness of some warrant these closures.

end of rant

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: fishing from boat ramp jetties

chris most of these boat pontoon at ramps are signed for no fishing but they still do it.that one over there would have to be the worst have use for it...last trip out from manly I come back in to find a couple of Asians fishin from the pontoon near the rq waited for them to wind in only for one of them to refuse and stick his rod tip in the water and say itll be ok,came in wind got boat pushed boat into pontoon where rod was and ended up snappin his rod..guess he will wind in next time..

I have no problem with fishing and cast netting from the pontoons provided they retrieve lines when boats come close. If it needs to be signed as such then so be it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi
    Similar thread to this a while back. You need to visit Beachmere since they put in the pontoon. Would be a waste of time trying to launch and retrieve on any given holiday. Going back an easter or two we decided to go out-couldn't get near the pontoon for crab pots, fishing lines and if you did you would of needed a guide to get through the deck chairs and eskies.

And kids swimming--there was a nice bit of sand once between the ramps where you could pull in -- parents standing there watching the kids and i get the finger when I said we were coming in and to get out of the way.

Just a few reasons we travel over to Bribie to launch our boat now.

If there isn't signs that say no crabbing fishing or swimming there should be or at least one in great big letters that say Boaties have right of way.
    My rant for the day. Feeling peaved because some low life jumped our back fence, scratched the boat and decided to put the bungs back in. needless to say abit of a clean up and empty out today.

mrs H

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    chris most of these boat pontoon at ramps are signed for no fishing but they still do it.that one over there would have to be the worst have use for it...last trip out from manly I come back in to find a couple of Asians fishin from the pontoon near the rq waited for them to wind in only for one of them to refuse and stick his rod tip in the water and say itll be ok,came in wind got boat pushed boat into pontoon where rod was and ended up snappin his rod..guess he will wind in next time..
    Curiosity just got the better of me ( not that I doubted you) - I went down to my local ramp - a pretty significant one for Brissy. It certainly had a sign on it (1 only) "no fishing from the pontoon" - now I have to say , there is a fishing platform on the other side of the ramp - so you generally dont see many fishing but you see a lot of cast netters.

Maybe the sign (and their should be multiples) should say "No Fishing & Cast netting" as people often do not distinguish the act of fishing , crabbing , prawning & bait gathering

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm sick of cars parking in the rigging/de rigging lanes too, one bloke at port douglas had a trailer on and mustn't have bothered looking for a park, just parked in the rigging lane (two trips in a row he was there).

They fish and cast net from the Tin Can Bay one a bit as well. I usually tell them that I am coming into the ramp briefly and ask them to wind in so I don't catch their lines. Never had an issue with them not complying. Happy to have them fish there and share the facility so long as a bit of mutual respect is shown.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

happens all the time down at Victoria point always bogans not worth the argument.

If I come in and there are lines out....I give them a yell to warn them...then come in lines or not...

What really pisses me off is at the maroochydore pontoon people think its ok to launch the kids off the sand next to the ramp with there ski boats/jet skis.....last time I looked it was 6knots within 30m of a boat ramp ...yesterday I was winding my boat on the trailer when the idiots come in flatout whipping the kids on the tube up onto the sand 3m away from the ramp launching a huge wake knocking my boat sideways on the trailer....When I give them a serve they arked up at me ....wtf....

no doubt this stuff goes on everywhere & probably leads to the odd punch up - I think they need to make these areas no fishing zones with the associated fines - it's hard core I know , but what do you do about this constant stupidity . Yes some people wind their line in but many don't
    As for the cast netters - they just leave mud and debris everywhere (it's bloody dangerous having slimy mud on pontoons ....... ban that practice for sure .

Chris

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

there is a guy down at the pontoon here most fri or sat night ....fills a 20 litre bucket with herring(that's a lot of herring)...asked what he did with so many and he said he freezes them some to use for burly...cat food...some for bait... when he is finished the pontoon is covered in mud/sticks/rock....

Never going to change no matter how many signs in as many languages as you'd care to put up.

With the ineffective enforcement getting pinged is just plain bad luck!!

While I don't have my own boat (yet) I do get to borrow my uncles from time to time but I also am stuck land based quite a bit and end up fishing off the pontoon down at Coorooman creek. Whenever I'm there (usually at night so not many boats) I always show the respect to boaties by pre-emptively reeling in well before they're close to launching or coming in. But that comes from respect as one time I was using my uncles boat I was coming in and got three different lines tangled in the prop even though I was going slowly. So then they yelled abuse at me even though the sign states all lines must be retrieved when boats are launching or coming in. So I guess I can appreciate your situation but hopefully it isn't banned at least for a year or so until I can get a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Never going to change no matter how many signs in as many languages as you'd care to put up.

With the ineffective enforcement getting pinged is just plain bad luck!!
    You're right Luke ..... but like the sign I saw today was quite small - at the end of the pontoon & quite high up and facing the river ..... I've used that ramp probably 20 times & I'd never noticed it ...... yet the signs to mention restricted areas & marine zones are prominent and 10 x larger .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    no doubt this stuff goes on everywhere & probably leads to the odd punch up - I think they need to make these areas no fishing zones with the associated fines
    Chris

Chris
    Perhaps we could allow rec anglers only 1 line in these new no fishing zones