Thread: Wivenhoe Camping & Fishing

Wivenhoe Camping & Fishing

Just went to check out the camping areas at Wivenhoe with the view to spending a week camping and fishing. We have a Cruiser with roof top tent and a tinny on a trailer.

Simple I thought... Put the boat in at the ramp, send the missus back to the camp with the car and trailer while I motored around with the boat, planning to leave it in the water until we pack up to leave.
    There are a couple of sites near the water where the boat can be watched at Logans Camp and Lumley Hill. ( it has a complete cover to reasonably theft-proof it and its contents)

It seems however that in their wisdom, SEQ Water wont let you leave your boat on the water over night. It was suggested that we pull the camp apart twice a day to launch and retrieve the boat. Some holiday that would be..not to mention motoring back and forth from the ramp.

The couple of Rangers and the girl at the office just shook their heads while telling me. Considering I live at Lowood....25mins from the dam, it seems i will have to go to Moogerah. I do know you can leave your boat on the water there over night.

Ahhhh SEQ Water...............you've done it again!!!!!

Cheers

Aussie

Re: Wivenhoe Camping & Fishing

Can't you just drag it a few feet out of the water at the bank near the campsite? Would be technically out of the water if its not floating... If that's not enough to satisfy them and your site is near the waters edge then have You got a winch on your truck? Setup camp near the waters edge and Face the water with it and yank it up a bit further if you cant pull it, if no winch then take a bit if extra rope and park backwards and use the trailer winch to pull it out. Use some round logs under it like rollers and tie it off if you think you can't push it back in..

edit - scratch all that, just read you can't even pull them up any bank.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Well that's just stupid, I'm going there next weekend and did not know this, I mean I knew there were boating hours but didn't associate it with being beached at your camp. Bummer!!!
    I was there last weekend looking around the place and where do you park the boat at cpt Logan's ? I only saw single car parks at 45 degrees?

Hey bar raider
    There are a few drive in sites right on the point close to the water.
    It's not only the roof top thing. What about camper trailers with a tinny on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did think about dragging it up the bank but a 4.2 with a 25hp 4 stroke Honda. Is bloody heavy

So. I'll throw this out for suggestions.
    Apart from moogarah, where do people go camping where you can pull your boat up to where you have your camp set up.
    I've got a week or so off and now to think of places to go

Sommerset
    weve just come back and kept the boat in the water for 5 days
    brett

According to SEQWater, it is not permissible to leave your boat in the water overnight at any of their lakes. Theoretically of course, if your boat was pulled up on the bank on the other side of Lumley Hill at 6.00pm, and a Ranger did not see it before 6.00am the following day there is nobody who can make you take your boat out. The commercial operators of the camp ground cannot enforce this rule, the Rangers do not enforce the rule at Somerset or Moogerah or Atkinson's so it would be hypocritical of them to try to enforce it at Wivenhoe. If they tried to pursue you through the courts it could be a very interesting case when it was pointed out that they ignore the practice at some dams but wish to enforce it at another.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Not enforced at Maroon either.
    Cheers
    Ray

I believe this rule is aimed at the trailersailer crowd who used to overnight up the backwater with some unofficial sanction, no more it appears they are another group not happy with the new rules.

I've got an email in seeking clarification. We have booked into Camp Somerset now anyway. That's the 7th day Adventist camp at the back of Somerset Dam. It's open to everyone and you can leave your boat on the water there. The place looks ok and it cheaper than Lake Somerset Park on the other side of the dam

I already did that aussie, you should get the same answer I got. Sometimes we should not ask if we can do it because it is easier to plead ignorance. All SEQWater can put in writing are the rules. The people who run the camp ground cannot tell you to take your boat out. All they can do is report you to the Ranger, and that wouldn't be a good business decision for them.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

ITS, a rule which lacks any common sense. I got the same quote when I enquired about camping at Logan's inlet. Also this stupid rule of locking the gates at the boat ramp at 6p.m. is also crazy. cheers.

For what it's worth on my trip I noticed a boat left in Friday night , I arrived late fri so didn't launch till sat morn and that night there were 4 boats left in overnight (including mine).

Sunday morn just BEFORE 6am someone "official" ranger/fisheries dunno, was at the neighbours boat talking about something and then went back to his truck and brought back something and proceeded to write on it, maybe a fine of some sort or may be a boating permit or a fishing permit, I think the latter because he then looked in my direction over to my boat and and the catamaran beside me and Jumped in the truck and took off again????

So Apart from the one unknown issue it seemed common practise to leave it in overnight.

I have finally got the bloke to clarify it all don Courtney at SEQ Water We do boating permits at our shop and the girl who picks the money up said to call him next week. 38175051

She thinks it's the new people running the camps that are the problem.
    I'll call Monday and lt you know the outcome

Cheers