Thread: Hastings point Kingfish from rocks question

Hastings point Kingfish from rocks question

Hi all,

Last Friday I was at Hastings Point for a quick fish. I had a flick around the bridge for an hour or so with no results and decided to call it quits. I went for a drive up he hill that over looks the rocks before leaving when I noticed a few birds working. This was about 12 30 in the afternoon and I was ready to head home (Brisbane) however I decided to have a quick flick with some slugs on the surf rod to see if there as any tailor about.

I got a small tailor about six casts in, so things were looking good. A snag and a few casts later I had a bird dive and hook itself on my lure seconds after it hit the water. thinking this was going to end badly it actually was a good result, the bird was very calm and was hooked in the beak which came out quite easily with no fuss and seemingly no major damage. The bird stood next to me a little shaken before eventually flying off.

About half an hour later I hooked up again unexpectedly on a yellowtail kingfish. I managed to get it to my feet but it was too big to simply lift with my rod onto the rocks from were I was standing especially on my own. I waiting for a wave I possibly could bring it in on but still couldn't. Considered trying to walk it around to where the rocks are lower however by this stage it had been swimming against the rock wall for to long inevitably busting off. I was kind of annoyed but not really as I got to see it and there was nothing I could really do as I wasn't expecting to land anything bigger than a tailor, It looked to be about 80cm give or take.

After all that here's my question:

Are kingfish common off these rocks? if so do they get much bigger and is it worth targeting them properly?

Re: Hastings point Kingfish from rocks question

One way to find out mate... take a game outfit down the first tailor (legal size of course) put it back out live under a balloon. I dont know about them rocks but some of the biggest kings frequent rock ledges. I used to do a heap of lbg and have seen 2.5kg mac tuna get nailed without a problem..
    If you can cart in yakkas, live pike or best of all live squid your question will get answered pretty quickly i would imagine.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Maybe try a flying gaph If you got one, slide it down on your line with 5mm rope on ring. Works for me, caught a few from the rocks down there.

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by ishing View Post
    Hi all,

Last Friday I was at Hastings Point for a quick fish. I had a flick around the bridge for an hour or so with no results and decided to call it quits. I went for a drive up he hill that over looks the rocks before leaving when I noticed a few birds working. This was about 12 30 in the afternoon and I was ready to head home (Brisbane) however I decided to have a quick flick with some slugs on the surf rod to see if there as any tailor about.

I got a small tailor about six casts in, so things were looking good. A snag and a few casts later I had a bird dive and hook itself on my lure seconds after it hit the water. thinking this was going to end badly it actually was a good result, the bird was very calm and was hooked in the beak which came out quite easily with no fuss and seemingly no major damage. The bird stood next to me a little shaken before eventually flying off.

About half an hour later I hooked up again unexpectedly on a yellowtail kingfish. I managed to get it to my feet but it was too big to simply lift with my rod onto the rocks from were I was standing especially on my own. I waiting for a wave I possibly could bring it in on but still couldn't. Considered trying to walk it around to where the rocks are lower however by this stage it had been swimming against the rock wall for to long inevitably busting off. I was kind of annoyed but not really as I got to see it and there was nothing I could really do as I wasn't expecting to land anything bigger than a tailor, It looked to be about 80cm give or take.

After all that here's my question:

Are kingfish common off these rocks? if so do they get much bigger and is it worth targeting them properly?
    To answer your questions:
    yes and yes

dave

Thanks guys now that I know it wasn't a one off I will definitely have to give targeting them a go.