Thread: porta loo emptying

porta loo emptying

My small vacuum flush toilet in my van only holds about 24 hours worth of effluent.
    It is a green one with no harsh chemicals.
    I wonder why people get very upset when people empty them in the rota loo toilets when they have no chemicals?
    Other choices are drive 10 km to the dump point. Empty it into the sea at night on an outgoing tide or bury it in the sand. I'm loathe to bury it in the sand at Inskip Point as there are bulk people and the place is already a toilet.
    What do you think?

Re: porta loo emptying

Mmmm
    Apart from a porta loo then the only options are what you said. Just empty it as you said also.
    We only camp where there are toilets now and don't take the porta loo.

Mrs H

One of the biggest issues for the traveller/camper.

What sort of chemicals do you use??? Toilets should never be emptied into a composting toilet even if they do have 'safe' chemicals. It is the liquid that destroys the composting effect of the toilets. Septic toilets are ok but if everyone was doing it a large influx of liquid can upset the septic unit.

I would never agree to burying at Inskip in the sand. If everyone started doing that then the place would be a mess before too long.

There is a Dump Point at Rainbow Beach that you could utilise.

Hi

Derek I would have to agree with you about the enviro loo's and you're right--if everyone dumped their loo's in there it would cause alot of problems.

Like I said we usually camp where there are toilets. Last time we went to double island we went checking out camping spots--got out of the car and first thing I stepped on was used toilet roll--- it was everywhere. Not very inviting for campers to see.

Maybe we could do with a few more drop off/emptying points along the beach to help with the problem. Its fine to use porta loo's but then its the emptying part that causes the problem.
    For me I would rather camp within range of a loo.

Mrs H

There are thousands of people now camping at Inskip Point with insufficient facilities that it has passed the ridiculous stage . We paid $22.40 per day for a family and for what, a few drop toilets? Many folk like to take their dogs camping and unfortunately Inskip is one of the few of these type of places left which is very sad. We are so controlled and regulated in Australia. It is excessively expensive even for a few days bush camping. I tallied up the cost as being around $700. Breakdown = $350 groceries for 5 people. $70.20 for camping permit, $120 fuel, $30 ice, $30 bag of prawns to eat, $17 for a hot chicken and bread rolls from the IGA, $15 generator fuel, $58 for 5 burgers at Hungry Jacks on the way home, $11 for 2 magazines and a newspaper to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    One of the biggest issues for the traveller/camper.

I would never agree to burying at Inskip in the sand. If everyone started doing that then the place would be a mess before too long.
    Worst I have experienced is camping along the Cooper at Innaminka. Many thousands have buried their crap. Its impossible to find a clean dig area and there is nothing worse than digging up other people's fresh poo !!!! Its why we now carry a porta-loo into areas like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Worst I have experienced is camping along the Cooper at Innaminka. Many thousands have buried their crap. Its impossible to find a clean dig area and there is nothing worse than digging up other people's fresh poo !!!! Its why we now carry a porta-loo into areas like that.
    Reckon thats the same at inskip and double island/teewah beach and most places now.

Is it the fault of the camper just being too lazy tocarry the loo or with councils/etc not supplying enough facilities.????????

Mrs H

Sounds disgusting in anyone's language!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

One would hope dump points would be available to these places as in caravan parks.
    Surely councils can use camping $$$$$ to provide some dump spots and make the whole area a lot more healthier.Been going on too long.
    Probably have to wait till someone get really sick or there is an outbreak of some disease. Sad if that happens.
    I bring my porta loo home and dump.
    Not ideal but!!
    Bruce

Nothing to do with these camp spots but on my way home from work the other day I passed this guy emptying his portaloo into a storm water drain. This was in Shailer Park so its not like he didn't have other options.