Thread: Prawn Season

Prawn Season

Hi everyone,

after spending the last few years reading the reports on the prawn run you guys get up there in the bay, May 2013 saw me purchase a custom net off an ausfish member and our first trip to jacobs well chasing these tasty critters.

We we ended up finding the prawns and getting a good haul, so a big thank you to all the guys that post reports providing details or hints. Without people like this it's possible to waste enormous amounts of time with very little result. Personally I think we were just extremely lucky but boy were they thick when we found them, and the other boats that turned up were all quite friendly.

Im im taking the family up for this coming weekend as a late holiday and was thinking of packing the net just in case. My question is not where are the prawns but more along the lines, is it possible to catch them this early in the season, and are they generally more spread out and smaller than the middle or late in the season?

cheers

brett

Re: Prawn Season

yes you can get them this early and yes they are likely to be smaller. also more likely to be up in the rivers and creeks rather than out in the bay. personally i don't bother until around march when the numbers and quality improve.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Awesome, thanks for the info netmaker.

March, April but I have caught them in June Queens birthday. I see people casting themselves crazy but don't cast if there are no positive shows on the sounder. One good cast is better that a dozen poor ones.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    yes you can get them this early and yes they are likely to be smaller. also more likely to be up in the rivers and creeks rather than out in the bay. personally i don't bother until around march when the numbers and quality improve.

Bastaaard, Netmaker! you've nailed it! I got nothing to add.

bullsh*t pero. you have probably been bucketing out for weeks now doing 14 hour days...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Need some rain first too flush them out so they can grow.

We have had good storms in logan dumping 60 to 70 mil in 30 mins. I personally think this and a couple more downpours will be enough to stir things up. Too much rain discolours the water and moves a lot of rubbish around, so you spend much more time clearing your net before you can cast again. It would be nice to have a normal summer with some storms but no rain depressions or cyclones. Should be a better season for prawning then!

scalem