Thread: Where to go first time in Moreton Bay

Where to go first time in Moreton Bay

Hi AusFishers

I have recently moved from Tasmania to the Gold Coast and now to Brisbane.

I am picking up my boat at 3:30 pm on Saturday and am excited to try and get a quick cruise and fish in before it gets dark.

Can anyone recommend a fishing spot that is close and easily accessible? Would it be better to fish at a river mouth somewhere?

I live in the Northern Suburbs of Brissy so somewhere around there would be great.

Any help is much appreciated

Re: Where to go first time in Moreton Bay

How big is the boat mate? Weather had been ordinary in the bay lately but still a few fish around. Plenty of Macks out in the bay at the moment

Plenty of ramps north of Brisbane. Deep Water Bend (on Pine River) at Bald Hills is an easy ramp to use and plenty of water to explore easily. Otherwise Nudgee Beach.

Depends on where you want to go, type of boat etc.

Depends where you are on northside. Deception bay and north of there you have caboolture river ( good ramp at end of uhlmann rd) or bribe passage. South of dbay you have redcliffe peninsula and lots of reef out crops. Moving south you have Hayes inlet, pine river or cabbage tree creek. Further south nudgee creek and Brisbane river

Hi fellas

thanks for the replies. I am pretty close to Nudgee so might give that ramp a shot.

Ive be heard it's pretty shallow at low tide?

I have a 4.8m Quintrex with a 75hp.

I've never caught a Mack before. How/where do you target them?

coming from Tassie I am very excited to get into some of these Pelagics when I learn the area a bit!

Moreton Bay seems like a fishos paradise!

On good days your boat will have no troubles getting over to moreton. Any of the beacons generally hold mackerel. Do a quick search on here an there is a wealth of knowledge to learn from. But on that note I strongly suggest you stay in close on your first few trips and try get out in different conditions. Moreton bay an turn in to a cruel mistress at the drop of a hat at times. Wind pushing against the tide can make for some very uncomfortable conditions. Don't be discourage if you your esky isn't full on your first trip.. The bay an take awhile to crack some times.

bit further south the brissy river holds some nice fish. Thready, Jew, snapps are all on offer there. Again take your time to learn the area an the fish shouldn't be to far away.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WertzGoldCoast View Post
    Hi fellas

thanks for the replies. I am pretty close to Nudgee so might give that ramp a shot.

Ive be heard it's pretty shallow at low tide?

I have a 4.8m Quintrex with a 75hp.

I've never caught a Mack before. How/where do you target them?

coming from Tassie I am very excited to get into some of these Pelagics when I learn the area a bit!

Moreton Bay seems like a fishos paradise!
    give it time....I'm sure you'll change your mind