Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If the sign on the bridge says no fishing then don't!

Re: If the sign on the bridge says no fishing then don't!

UNBELIEVABLE & LUDICROUS - defending your "right" to fish in illegally marked zones. I could also go drag racing through the suburban streets and also play tennis on the highway but it seems i was blessed with a substantial amount of COMMON SENSE which it seems is a little thin on the ground nowadays. It's quite bloody simple frankly, signs says "No fishing off bridge" for christs sake don't.

I do not own a boat and yet it appears i'm one of a few that can find a multitude of spots which do not include ANY bridges (signed or not) to CATCH fish. These disobedient (& arrogant it seems) twits should be fined a substantial amount and it should be enforced vigorously, this would eventually stop the practice - it can be dangerous. The ability or right to catch a feed is irrelevant beyond mention. I will also add - for those that think land based fishos have it tough, that boat based fishos are policed and fined (more so it would seem) if illegal practices are being used.

There is NO rebuttal or argument against this and i will not be replying to any such, so please gentlemen, can we all just chill, sit back, enjoy our given freedoms, AND respect each others space when we are fishing, be it land based or from a boat. Neither has, nor should have the right to encroach on / or in to anothers "zone".

Now, finally a few keys words to finish with (this is not intended to offend nor incite - just take on board PLEASE)

Respect
    Responsibility
    Common Sense
    Patience
    Obey
    and last of all Enjoy.
    Next time your out fishing do the right thing, give a cheerio to your compatriots, teach our young ones the lost art of manners and let's end this male bravado bullsh1t.

Mattg
    c'mon, take the bait....

"There is NO rebuttal or argument against this and i will not be replying to any such,"

Jawohl mein Herr

Louis

PS: If you come onto a forum and pass an opinion. People have the right to respectfully challenge and try to rebut your opinion.

Geez you southern mob are touchy about bridges, next time I'm down I'll makes sure I read all the signs and wont even think about having a fish of a bridge ok !!

Sharkmark was right- Went for a fish feeling fresh now.

No signs on bridges where I am, so found it a strange concept not being "ALLOWED" to fish off one.

Never seem to have many issues on the water or fishing from land here, everyone gives each other a wave and plays nicely together.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastMark View Post
    Ummm that can happen at anytime, lure fishing - dont have to be under a bridge. Sorry GF, but that doesnt contribute much to the non bridge fishing viepoint.
    Sorry, I didn't have a single hook pic with a prawn on it.
    Go back and read the words SunnycoastMark. Pictures do tell a thousand words, but, sometimes you need to read what is written. Also, one night, you might pay the Bribie bridge a visit. Walk across it and drive your boat around under it.

I've never had a problem with people fishing off bridges but will say this......On the Richmond (NSW) you will be fined heavily for exceeding four knots whilst traveling under a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Sorry, I didn't have a single hook pic with a prawn on it.
    Go back and read the words SunnycoastMark. Pictures do tell a thousand words, but, sometimes you need to read what is written. Also, one night, you might pay the Bribie bridge a visit. Walk across it and drive your boat around under it.
    I wouldnt do that, might get a lure in my ear. I would also have to visit my inlaws. So, pass

The words say this is what can happen, not what did happen ( under a bridge) . I know im being silly now, sorry, cant help myself :-SS

.....AND...... reading a few more of your words - ONly half of your lies are true anyway - which means half of your truths are lies, so excuse me for being confused..

Mark

there's a boutique at the shopping center that will put a hook through your ear (or anywhere else, for that matter) for a few dollars...

in my experience, it is the 2% that ruin a good thing for the 98% who respect themselves enough to respect their fellow man.
    i don't think there is any harm in fishing off a bridge, in and of itself, but when you're line's in the channel and a boat is approaching, well, reel in and let him go by. he can't really find another way in or out except under the bridge now, can he? and if you create a hazard to motorists you should be sanctioned- an accident could easily be caused from a driver startled by an ounce of lead striking her windshield.
    let's go fishin'.
    standing on a bridge
    watching water rushing under-
    neath it must have been much harder
    when there was no bridge just water

I know I'm straying away from bridges but there was a group of ruff and ready looking dudes fishing right at the Spinnaker ramp one night, and I actually ran over a couple of their lines whilst beaching the tinny as it was too dark to see where they were. I said sorry and they apologised too for not bringing their lines out the way. Had a bit of a yarn, then they held the boat for me whilst I fetched the trailer, and even helped me winch it up onto it. Nice blokes, shows there are still some decent people out there, and more so that if we are lucky enough to have a boat we should still respect landbased fishos, as the majority of them do do the right thing, as we do have common interests and passions. After all, I was an avid LB fisho until the Finance Minister released funds so I could get my tinny. As previously mentioned in other posts, it's that 2% whose actions spoil it for others.
    Cheers.

I don't pass many bridges, and do my best to see where any lines may be... and avoid them if I see them.
    But as for the argument about 'working hard to own a boat', by far and away my biggest issue is those that have worked hard to own a boat, but fail to understand lighting requirements at night...

Oh, and people dropping crab pots around navigation markers... but, hey, that's legal!
    That whinge aside, I do want to thank all those that do drop pots near navigation markers that use clearly visible floats. Actually, I would like to thank people that use clearly visible floats where ever they drop them. Clearly visible floats (ie nice and new/bright etc) make my night runs so much less stressful.

So while I have little to say about people fishing off bridges where they're not supposed to, my biggest issue is other boaters... but that's a whole other argument.

Lightbulb Re: If the sign on the bridge says no fishing then don't!

what a bunch of whingers.....
    Solve the 'issue' , stop procrastinating!!

Gazza solution:
    Just like life-savers have swimzone "flags" , cars have "no standing signs" with arrows pointing where you can't park ,etc.

Just Put 2 x NFZ signs? with arrow , to indicate the 'Zone' to NOT FISH...basically, where the water is deeper to ALLOW boaties to traverse unimpeded....safely.
    JMO , and if you don't understand my suggestion , that's ok , just scroll passed.

[assumption: bridge is actually **safe to fish/cast from** ]

Unfortunately there is a valid argument for laws prohibiting fishing off bridges. Im not totally in agreement with it. I fished off bridges for many years. I Still have the occasional throw from our local bridges. Unfortunately common sense is, in many cases is a thing of the past. One of our local bridges, Prospect bridge, across North Creek in Ballina has become a bit of a hotspot for local crabbers. Some afternoons when there's a few crabs about there might be a dozen dillies tied off to the rails across the bridge. Mid last year a poor unsuspecting boatie passed under the bridge. His ring and index finger became tangle with a dillie rope. It peeld the skin and flesh off his fingers leaving the bone. You can still see the bent rail. Third panel in from the town side of the bridge....that'd have to hurt. I quite regularly see blokes fishing with 50lb braid...how would you go with that wrapped around your throat?...common sense? yeah in a perfect world all boaties would travel under the bridge at 4knts and be vigilant....and idiots wouldnt have 6mm rope tied off to the bridge at 5m intervals anchored to something heavy on the river bed...but its not always the case

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I am pretty sure there is no fishing off ANY bridge in NSW, be it a road or rail bridge, whether there is signs or not, my local bridge (Windang) is a nightmare to drive under in your boat, walk over on the pedestrian path, even at times, dangerous to drive your car over without fear of getting flogged by a lure or sinker.
    Windang bridge was a shocker for it - it concentrated the fishoes over the channel ...... I got caught a couple of times when heading up the lake.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I've never had a problem with people fishing off bridges but will say this......On the Richmond (NSW) you will be fined heavily for exceeding four knots whilst traveling under a bridge.
    I wish someone would fine the dickheads doing way over 4kts in the Canal/Fisheries Creek, not just past the ramp, the whole lot. I had a very near miss late at night with an unlit tinny going flat out in Fisheries Creek.

I seem to recall someone almost losing fingers or hand (not sure) from entangling a crab pot line whilst driving his tinny under the Missingham Bridge at night, but can not find the story in the local new sites now ?

I agree we all have a right to fish but do it sensibly and safely for every one!