Thread: Currumbin bar in 4.2m tinny

Currumbin bar in 4.2m tinny

Hi all,

I have a 4.2m tinny with a 30hp on the back and I'm looking to chase some of the mackerel they are getting off palmy reef.
    Before I chase down there as it's an hr drive I want to know if this bar is safe enough to cross with my tinny? I have read that it is pretty good atm.
    What swell/wind/tide should I be looking at to cross it? I would probably head back in before any easterlies turn up.

Thanks guys!

Re: Currumbin bar in 4.2m tinny

you should no problem getting out, there is a good gutter running down the the mouth if you go around the end of the groyne and head out that way instead of heading straight out its a lot better.i head out around three hours either side of high.
    when are you thinking of heading out

I'm thinking this Saturday or Sunday depending on the weather. The forecast seems to be pretty good at this point.

If I was crossing the bar in a tinny I would try and go around the top or dead bottom of the tide and return when the tide is not at its most dangerous slack tide or run in
    thats just my preference

Cheers
    happy days ahead summer is coming

This is the way I go at low tide.

Yeah I was thinking when tide is slack would be the best.
    Thank you for the map, I knew it was a dog leg but that definitely gives me a good idea of where to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    If I was crossing the bar in a tinny I would try and go around the top or dead bottom of the tide and return when the tide is not at its most dangerous slack tide or run in
    thats just my preference

Cheers
    Tidal run makes little to no difference on this Bar!!!

Experience crossing a breaking bar is preferable for crossing Currumbin.

If you have the experience you will not come into contact with a broke wave.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Tidal run makes little to no difference on this Bar!!!

Experience crossing a breaking bar is preferable for crossing Currumbin.

If you have the experience you will not come into contact with a broke wave.
    Unfortunately I don't have much first hand experience in bar crossings, only as a passanger not a driver. That being said I'm not a total stranger when it comes to boating and I think I should be ok. I know the basics anyhow. But of course, if the bar looks too much for me and my experience I will not be crossing it.

Look out for surfers!
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

Under stand only 10% of people that cross a bar actually no what they are doing the other 90% think they know. hence the tidel reference for safest passage and tides play a part on every bar whether large or small difference
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Being an ex surfer, I can tell you the most important thing is to be able to 'read' the swell. You need to stop at the bar mouth for 5 mins and just watch the sets roll in. Count the waves, and count how long the lull in between sets is. After another 5 mins or so, you will be able to pick the LAST wave of each set of 3-5 waves. Go now and gun it, cos your gonna need all of that 60 sec break to get out behind the breaks using the map that Giffo nicely put up.

Put your motor half way up so you dont hit the prop on the sand, and wear a lifejacket.

Stopping to watch and using patience is a bar crossing skill that few skippers have.
    "There are old skippers, and there are bold skippers, but there are no old, bold skippers!"

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Back in the 70's and early 80's my father and I used that bar a lot. As mentioned. Stop and count the sets and run the lulls. NEVER follow anyone out! I have seen people come unstuck several times doing this. Last year I went through with a mate in a 4.1 Alleycraft with a 25HP Yammy. We did the above and had no problems.