Thread: Straightening a bent Danforth anchor.

Straightening a bent Danforth anchor.

I carry a small Danforth type anchor on my tinnie, and I got hooked up the other day. Bent the shaft through 90 degrees.

I straightened it out (sort of) with heat and a hammer, and cooled it down rapidly with a water bath.

My question is, is that anchor still reliable? I doubt that a straight pull would matter, but if it gets pulled from the side again, will it now bend more easily?

Re: Straightening a bent Danforth anchor.

Hi Peter - yep, it will bend far more easily now that it's already been bent. However, if your anchor is set up correctly, that is, shackled to the fluke end of the anchor, rather than the end of the shank, and only cabletied to the shank, you shouldn't have any more problems. The striker plate between the flukes should have a hole to which you shackle the chain. Once caught on the bottom, heavy pulling will break the cable tie, enabling you to withdraw the anchor from the head - avioding any hangups. Failing that, invest in a 'Fisherman's or Slipring Anchor' - I did - and have never been hung up again!
    This is a slip ring anchor.Attachment 99612

Forgot to mention, too...the Fisherman's anchor seems to have more holding power than a danforth as well - both in sand and mud. Particularly in PP Bay's muddy bottom and nasty wind chop. And if snagged, just motor forwards over the anchor to trip it and ease it out of the snag. Only suitable for smaller boats, however - up to 4.5m. Tinnies especially.

Thanks for the advice, robsue. I'll rejig the anchor as recommended tomorrow so I have something while I check out the slipring.

Robsue? Better lend ya me glasses! LOL.