Thread: Lucinda or cooktown?

Lucinda or cooktown?

We were planning a trip to cape melville but timing is not right. leaving rocky 21st april, be home by 7th may. we are now undecided between cooktown or lucinda. We have the option of either towing 5.7m alloy centre console or 4.1 mtr tinney. 2 other boats are 4.5 open tinneys. Now for the q's
    -where would be better? Fishing wise. What are winds etc like during that time. Are the reefs etc fishing well ?
    -are there any free camping areas close to these places, beach camps etc?
    -Is fishing the creeks going to be too hard (shallow) in the bigger boat?

i have done a few searches on here, and pretty sure I know the answer with camping, just hoping someone might give away a secret spot maybe! Didn't want to book into a caravan park only for the fishing/ spot not turn out, and be stuck there

thanks thommo

Re: Lucinda or cooktown?

99% chance Cooktown will be blowing 20 to 30 knots plus from the SE at that time of year

Yep Lucinda over Chooktown based on the SE trade winds. Chooktown in the doldrums, Nov-Feb though.

what about Karumba as a third option. though might be starting to get a bit crowded from around then. Lucinda at that time of year would be the pick over cooktown in April for sure.

Karumba was a option, but I thought it was a bit limited in the offshore fishing department.