Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abu Garcia Bling to the Max

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Abu Garcia Bling to the Max

Just thought I would share some of my ABU GARCIA custom upgrades.
    I love these reels for their size and ability to pull in big fish. Once upgraded they become truly awesome.
    All work done by Duncan at D and H Reel Repairs.
    All bearings upgraded where possible, worm tubes , Teflon worm drives, ceramic palls, retrofitted mag casting control, retro fitted thumb bar, carbon fibre handles, carbontex drag washers. Just some of the custom upgrades one. Duncan also builds from scratch to whatever you heart desires and budget.
    I'll add some more of the little 5000 series that Duncan did for me a while back, this reel was transformed and is fully customised to the max. I spooled it up with 15kg jigging braid and the drag will pull you off your feet. Anyhow enjoy. Jim

Added a couple more photo's. Red one is the 5000 series going on 20 years old. The Chrome 7000 series is spooled u with 8kg, I've got 2 of these setup for trolling up wahoo. Smooth a silk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigjimg; 12-01-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added more pics
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Re: Abu Garcia Bling to the Max

Very nice indeed.......is the Blue reel a 6500 Barra King by any chance?..........I bought one of these at Erskins in Cairns over 20 years ago and still have it today........bit dinged up now but still functions as it should........Almost bought the Abu ###### a few years ago kicking myself I didn't now very hard to find new and worth a small fortune aswell.........The father in law has a golden oldy a 5600 magnetic cast control in near mint bought new 30 years ago I suppose......very rare now a days.Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

######?????..........A-U-R-O-R-A.........dunno why Ausfish hates this reel ....LOL.Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    Very nice indeed.......is the Blue reel a 6500 Barra King by any chance?..........I bought one of these at Erskins in Cairns over 20 years ago and still have it today........bit dinged up now but still functions as it should........Almost bought the Abu ###### a few years ago kicking myself I didn't now very hard to find new and worth a small fortune aswell.........The father in law has a golden oldy a 5600 magnetic cast control in near mint bought new 30 years ago I suppose......very rare now a days.Dan
    G'day Dan,
    The Azure Blue reels are 6500 High Speed. Also got the 6500 C4 Elite (not pictured). I bought these reels off another member from here, King Tin. This colour is hard to get now.
    They are very collectable reels and have quite a cult following. Any pictures of the ######? Jim
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Love em. I put carbontech drag washers in one of my 6500s and loaded it with 55ld saltiga braid. Had a ball last time I went chasing grunter/javelin fish in 40m but the little handle annoyed me a bit so I just purchased a power handle for it. Where are you getting those handles?

I have a lot of high end reels and I still love the feel of an abu in my hand. It takes me back to the 1990's.

Spider pig the knobs are fitted to the balanced handle once the original is removed. Once again Duncan at D and H Reel Repairs did the job for me.
    Look him up here: dandhreelrepairs.com.au Jim
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

I must admit i still love my 1500's.1600's with thumbar,2500's and 2600 with thumbar.
    Graham

I love my Abu reels. I got my first one, an Abu 5 when I was 15 back in 1990.
    I still use Abu 7000 for mackerel trolling and barra fishing.

great stuff good to see the abus still going strong the 5000-6500 have a great upgrade ability got quite a few myself and usually get upgrades from uk

also check "aussie abu" thread 26/7/09.wich was my first reel i rebuilt

Very nice Hangar. Haven't seen those QTC frames, are they from the UK ?
    The Abu's are by far my favourite reels. Looking at importing a 10000 Big Game soon. I recently got a 7000i C3 CT mag High Speed, but something just not right with it. Going to strip it down and investigate the bearing's
    for a possible failure. Just doesn't free spool smoothly. Once I track the cause It will get the treatment as well.

Feel free to post up pictures of your Abu's guys and girls. Jim
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

yer uk.if your looking for a 10000 check ebay i would try stick to the sweedish made models as they no longer produce anything over 6500 and can hold there value

If you don't mind me asking what sort of $$$ does a referb cost??

wayno the green and gold 6500 cost me about $180 the refurb sets the reel at about $500.it was quit a while ago that i built it and dont have the exact pricing for parts.i tourno cast this reel still and have got 217 meters but on average this is a 200 meter reel.still needs work mainly on the mags but its my safest reel to cast ie: very controlled