Thread: Glenlyon Dam

Glenlyon Dam

Heading down to Glenlyon Dam in early February, haven't been there for 7 years. Debbie from the park tells me they are starting to release water, was wondering how this will affect the fishing. Any recent reports will be appreciated.

Re: Glenlyon Dam

Hay mate I went out to the dam about 4 weeks ago. It was about 86percent. The yellow belly only started to bite as the sun started to go over the hills using live shrimp as bait. There are heaps of shrimp out there. Best to use a wire shrimp pot the ones that look like wire rubbish bin put end on. Debbie had some out there give her a ring and check she still has some left. Use bits of yellowbelly flesh as bait you will get heaps. The cod are out there you just have to find the right way to fish for them. We only got the 1 cod for the week 54 cms which was fun to catch and release. Take care on the roads out there as there is a lot of wild life around. Deer and Roos in the early morns and afternoons. Also got some big silvers to about 44cms and the trusty eeltail cattys which go hard. Dont forget your SIP license. Have fun

thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. you say theres lots of shrimp in the dam, last time we were there got some in the creek on the way into the park. taking out some worms as well will try both bait and lures. prefer spinnerbaits but give anything a go. we only got 1 cod last time as well (61cm) just legal. is night fishing very productive? will be fishing most of the time but will take some time out to visit some wineries.

Hi derfla,
    I had a couple of mates go to Pindari last week and only got about 3 -4 fish per day and so they gave up on that and went to glen Lyon where they got around the same.. If you put in the hours you may get a few more..
    I used to live and fish all the big dams out there and there definitely was a lot of fish keeping their mouths closed whilst they release the irrigation water but you may tempt the odd one.
    Night fishing can be productive at the right time but some of our best codfishing trips have been around midday where they seem to know what time lunch is..
    If you cannot catch anything on worms or shrimps you wont catch them on anything..
    Half your luck..beats working..
    cheers, steve

Hi I fish Glenlyon at least four times a year. The dam level is around 60% at the moment, and they are still letting water out. There are plenty shrimp in the dam but you will only them at night. For Cod get yourself some big spinner baits like Gangsters, Debbie now sells them at the dam, and cast to structure, i.e. sunken tees or rocks. Cod will bite all through the day,I have fished at night for them with little luck. Take care now with the water level being low, or you will do damage to your prop or worse still, a gearbox. In my last two trips to the dam I have caught and released 14 Cod, hope you do just as well. I will be fishing the Dam early March with a few mates, if any Aushfish members are there then my boat is a 4.3 Bluefin colour Blue, with a forty hp 4stroke Yamaha. Brian

Yeah, March is at the end of the Irrigation season so you should do well..
    The Missus and myself went our that way first week of NSW cod season 12 months back and managed 42 cod for two days fishing. Biggest at 112cm. Caught 70% of them between 10.30am & 2pm..
    Most on Eddy Dambuster lures and some old 50mm yellow legend lures that I have had for 20 years or better...

Believe it or not but I am yet to catch a cod on a spinnerbait!
    Maybe this year
    cheers..

Rabbi & China thanks heaps for the info. and i'll take your advice onboard. as I said i've only been there once before and was quite a while ago - dam was about 25% then, guess it made it easier to follow the old creek bed. Loved the place last time we were there but the 8-9 hr drive made it a bit hard to convince the misses, but she does like the odd drop of wine. she prefers to fish with bait while i tire myself out casting lures. sounds like there will be a few obstacles to manouver around if they keep letting water out. taking the electric as well so might do a bit of trolling as well...until it gets boring. Really looking forward to the trip and hopefully hook a few. will post a report when we get back. again thanks guys......russ

made it back from glenlyon, caught heaps of yella's & silvers but unfortunately no cod. only heard of 2 being caught while we were there. fish caught mainly on live shrimp and as you say guys there are plenty in there (as long as the turtles don't find your trap and have a feed). tossed some spinner baits round a bit but no luck. dam was down to 43% with a slow release. got off to a slow start on the dam - boat got rear ended in toowoomba on the way down, mangled the prop and i didn't have a spare, got some help from the guys at the dam but still not right, quick trip to inverell for a new one. only fished early morning and late afternoon - too bloody hot in the middle of the day. all up an enjoyable trip and caught some every time we went out.