Thread: How far out are the dolphin fish on the Goldie at the moment?

How far out are the dolphin fish on the Goldie at the moment?

Just weighing up my options for a fish on Saturday. The forecast doesn't look too bad so if there are some dolphin fish around the 24's it might be worth a trip out. I've only got half a day so if they're out on the 36's then I might opt for a bit of jack/shark fishing in the Nerang on Saturday night instead.

Realise the weather has been pretty ordinary for a little while now but hoping someone might have an idea.

Re: How far out are the dolphin fish on the Goldie at the moment?

I would say the 24's are too close in.. the water has been terrible inshore of late (bad clarity), the wave rider buoy off lookout is showing the right temps and is on the 80m line, i would guess that would be a place to start.. 22.5ks east from the seaway is the same water
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    I would say the 24's are too close in.. the water has been terrible inshore of late (bad clarity), the wave rider buoy off lookout is showing the right temps and is on the 80m line, i would guess that would be a place to start.. 22.5ks east from the seaway is the same water
    There have been a few dollies out at the Wave Buoy of Lookout the last couple of weekends.

G'day

Yep, try out around the 70M line and beyond.

Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

you need to keep an eye on the water temps. the 36's have produced some corker dollies over the last couple of weeks, also an 18kilo model caught in 25m with a temp of 26.6 deg. to say you need to get out in the deep stuff is horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    you need to keep an eye on the water temps. the 36's have produced some corker dollies over the last couple of weeks, also an 18kilo model caught in 25m with a temp of 26.6 deg. to say you need to get out in the deep stuff is horseshit.
    fair enough mate.. now one question, as an true oceanic pelagic species how often have you or anyone on here regularily caught dolphin fish in 25m of water off the seaway?, im just saying that to give someone some advice on targetting dollies in 25m of water... east of the seaway (were he is going out) would put you on the 12fatm reef.. point look out is a different kettle of fish, as i said the water off the goldy is green inshore, the temps are right 26+ at the lookout waverider buoy.. which sits at 22ks offshore east off the goldy (same water temps and depth line)
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by nathank View Post
    fair enough mate.. now one question, as an true oceanic pelagic species how often have you or anyone on here regularily caught dolphin fish in 25m of water off the seaway?, im just saying that to give someone some advice on targetting dollies in 25m of water... east of the seaway (were he is going out) would put you on the 12fatm reef.. point look out is a different kettle of fish, as i said the water off the goldy is green inshore, the temps are right 26+ at the lookout waverider buoy.. which sits at 22ks offshore east off the goldy (same water temps and depth line)

You can head out from the seaway, turn left, then troll allthe way to Point lookout, or right and head down to the Tweed. Or you can tellhim he needs to be in waters up to 500m and troll all day and he could catchbugger all. What the question needs is what gear do I need to catch – or I havethese type of lures and what am I likely to catch. Maybe even, I am willing totravel up to 60km from the seaway, where’s the best place to target Dollies? Fromthe reports I’ve gathered, the WRB is housing dollies from 45cm – 60 cm at themoment.

Yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dollies and small black marlin haveall been caught between coastline and 70m. You have the best chance of hookingthese pelagics if concentrating on the water temp above 25 deg.