Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cast net option

Re: Cast net option

My 12 ft top pocket was so heavy u couldn't cast it for long
    i cut every second lead off it
    it is now heaps better and it still casts perfectly .

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Thanks Dave, good tip that might be better than fileing them down lol.
    hahaha. yes. much easier than filing them down. if they are crimped instead of tied on, a brick splitter and hammer is the best way i know to do it. getting the maths right the first time will save extra work and grief. send me a pm if you want a second opinion on your numbers before you start dissecting. would suggest not going under 4.5kg or you may find you are not getting full spread on the net. this will depend on the quality and line diameter of the net. generally lower diameter lines like lines 1 & 2 will spread beautifully but don't do snags too good. the opposite applies for lines 3 and 4. you may also need to look for another casting style? the vietnamese do all of their rigging up with the lead on the deck and only take the weight of the net just before casting. my favourite net is line 3 body and line 4 for the last 2 feet to the lead line which keeps the damage down in the most damage prone part of the net. this is spread by 6kg of lead which i can merrily cast at least a few hundred times in a day - and i am a fat, unfit, old fart...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    hahaha. yes. much easier than filing them down. if they are crimped instead of tied on, a brick splitter and hammer is the best way i know to do it. getting the maths right the first time will save extra work and grief. send me a pm if you want a second opinion on your numbers before you start dissecting. would suggest not going under 4.5kg or you may find you are not getting full spread on the net. this will depend on the quality and line diameter of the net. generally lower diameter lines like lines 1 & 2 will spread beautifully but don't do snags too good. the opposite applies for lines 3 and 4. you may also need to look for another casting style? the vietnamese do all of their rigging up with the lead on the deck and only take the weight of the net just before casting. my favourite net is line 3 body and line 4 for the last 2 feet to the lead line which keeps the damage down in the most damage prone part of the net. this is spread by 6kg of lead which i can merrily cast at least a few hundred times in a day - and i am a fat, unfit, old fart...
    Hmmm, FAT, UNFIT, and OLD FART, ......think you might have nailed it there dave, ha ha , cheers, roy

Dave years ago i bought a bundle of 3/4 and made a drag net 1 and half panles deep and then made a cast net with the left over of the bundle on a old draw string lead line,it was a hand full to hold but it got a good parachute shape in the top panle and could catch to many herring at times and the drawstring made it very easy to dump what you didnt want back into the water,with a nets with side pockets the herring are stuffed by the time you get them out.

P.S took 25 hours to sew and hang i , dont like 3/4 and its stuffed all ready.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    Only met Dave once, and wouldn't of said he was old.

netmaker
    A question if I may. I have a 12ft net and I'd like to reduce the weight a little. The net has 162 weights weighing 28 grams each which comes close to 8KG of lead. If I remove every second one, I'm down to 4KG which might be a bit light.
    Your considered and expert thoughts would be appreciated.
    PS I got it a few years ago from Bob the net guy down Redlands way.
    Brad

leave 2 and take out every third one...

Does anyone know where to get a good quality 10 -12ft draw string cast net in Brisbane?

From my experience I have had all shapes and sizes. First of all get a mono net not cotton, mono doesn't absorb water and you can see what you have caught a lot easier. The best technique is over the shoulder learn this way it's the only way to throw a 10 11 12 foot net properly, the other way with two hands is for pussies. For over the shoulder it's about getting a even amount of lead in each hand. I'm 76kg 178cm and I throw a 11ft net, remember if you get your net snagged don't pull the net, don't be scared go in and get it. Practice, Practice, Practice. Dogtoooth

I like to stay dry. No over the shoulder for me and I still get the spread. And sometimes the prawns are in very deep water that's full of sharks so I tend to stay in the boat.

Slightly off topic but third cast with a brand new net and I found a nice little set of rocks, wasn't pretty but I have some small barrel sinkers to fish with now! Lol

I did the same thingwith mine Nicko, ripped about a metre and a half off of the lead line on a big snag at Nudgee. I ended up tying the lead line around the hole in a big knot which worked for a few more mullet, but this is why I need a new net. r