Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishers in green zones - dob them in?

Question Fishers in green zones - dob them in?

Took the dog for a walk along the beach south of Woolgoolga yesterday afternoon and there would have been no less than half a dozen people fishing off the rocks at Flat Top Point - a green sanctuary zone. They weren't being secretive about it either - they had all parked their cars on the beach nearby.
    I could put it down to a few holidaymakers not being aware of the zones, but it's clearly signed no fishing or collecting.

Now I'm wondering what the consensus here is, would you dob them in?
    Or just leave it for the DPI/ranger to do their own job?

Re: Fishers in green zones - dob them in?

With all the budget cut backs, you have more chance of winning lotto than getting caught by fisheries

sent using TapTalk
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Yep, report them and let your local MP know. If the government doesn't want to enforcement, then get rid of them.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

You'll never get me ringing fisheries to report fishing in a greenzone that is more likely there because of green lobby group pressure than marine science.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

In any case, Fisheries wont want to know. Green zones belong to National parks, not Fisheries, so it is not fisheries job.

And yes, you are correct. There was absolutely zero fisheries science behind that green zone, it was just selected because it was "representative" of a particular habitat type and to try appease the greenies demand for at least 30% of the Bay to be closed to all fishing.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I'm talking about mid north coast (solitary islands marine park), not moreton bay.

Same argument applies. They were done by the EPA. national parks are mainly responsible for enforcement, although fisheries are also authorized to do it. And they were not declared for any fishery management reasons. Done for green preferences.

Are those zones not included in the ones where there has been an amnesty declared while the new NSW Govt reviews them?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Yohoo now there are some hard hitting comments. Bloody politics interfering in our fishing. We could have a paradise if only we could get organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Are those zones not included in the ones where there has been an amnesty declared while the new NSW Govt reviews them?
    I'm new to NSW, and am not aware of this?

Quote Originally Posted by rids01 View Post
    I'm new to NSW, and am not aware of this?
    Then do some research for yourself.

Amnesty declared several months ago for quite a number if beach based green zones.

You can obviously use the internet, how about you go find the info, and post what you find here. It might save someone from getting egg on face for reporting "illegal fishing" thats actually not illegal.......

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Yohoo now there are some hard hitting comments. Bloody politics interfering in our fishing. We could have a paradise if only we could get organised.

Well said mate, MMM..... You could"nt be more Politically Correct.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dobbing someone for fishing in a green zone?....I think not.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

You are correct.
    Looks like DPI need to update the signage, this is super confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Then do some research for yourself.

Amnesty declared several months ago for quite a number if beach based green zones.

You can obviously use the internet, how about you go find the info, and post what you find here. It might save someone from getting egg on face for reporting "illegal fishing" thats actually not illegal.......
    You are correct.
    Looks like DPI need to update the signage, this is super confusing.

I called the local fisheries twice in redcliffe once about a dozen boats fishing the green zone in woody point no one works on weekends obviously as it went to message bank to be re directed . the second was fishing on the jetty and i was watching a group of men keeping every crab the kept . i went over to them and advised them politely that is is illegal to keep females in qld and that some of there crabs looked a tad sus on the size . the told me not so politely that i should leave before something happens to me. i called the fisheries and was told due to staff numbers the could not attend my call......... if you fine people you will have more money and get more staff...... bunch of clowns any way thanks for my rant

turbo