Thread: Plenty mullet in Sunny Coast creeks

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plenty mullet in Sunny Coast creeks

Got out for a bit this morning and tried for a few mullet. Went up Petrie Creek mullet were jumpng. Got 20, 1 muddy, and 1 bream.
    image.jpg

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Re: Plenty mullet in Sunny Coast creeks

few crab baits there mate well done
    cast net or line?
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

nice work....there were heaps of them up petrie creek the other day...just about jumping in the boat...a big school hanging around the trees in the water just before the bridge (at matildas) and up to dusty roads...
    the cat fish were hammering the herring though so I moved on ...
    Headed out to old woman and the gneerings early today ....not much around again...some good shows on the structure scan but couldn't talk them into playing the game...was ok till the wind picked up to 15/20 knots and it started raining..

Actually, those mullet look like gold spots to me. Take a look at the slight gold mark on the back of the head near the gill opening. It is much more prominent on smaller fish. There is NO size limit on gold spot mullet (also known as goldy gills) in Queensland. It is the only small mullet you can legally use as a live bait when fishing the creeks.

Confirmed that again just recently when talking to staff in Fisheries Queensland.

Cheers

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    Actually, those mullet look like gold spots to me. Take a look at the slight gold mark on the back of the head near the gill opening. It is much more prominent on smaller fish. There is NO size limit on gold spot mullet (also known as goldy gills) in Queensland. It is the only small mullet you can legally use as a live bait when fishing the creeks.

Confirmed that again just recently when talking to staff in Fisheries Queensland.

Cheers

Jeff

Spot on Jeff...I had a fisheries guy check my catch about this time last year and I did have an undersized sea mullet in my bait bucket along with river mullet...he showed me the difference, which can be hard to see, but when side by side

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

For anyone who wants to check for themselves, go to the Fishing News section of this forum and take a look at the Fisheries Queensland release on 27 November 2013 titled "When it comes to Mullet - Gold is good".

cheers

Jeff

I can see a lot of flat tail mullet there and only one big sea mullet going by the tails i can see nothing wrong with that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    I can see a lot of flat tail mullet there and only one big sea mullet going by the tails i can see nothing wrong with that.

yes Chris....anyone who knows can tell the diff between river and sea mullet...I think Marto just has an axe to grind about something

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

nice catch mate. look fine to me. bit worried bout the bream tho. must be small, i can't even see it...
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    nice catch mate. look fine to me. bit worried bout the bream tho. must be small, i can't even see it...

the the bream was 27 cm and is under the crab...couldn't get the bloody crab to stay still long enough to move it lol

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Yeah this month's Bush & Beach has an article regarding which poddy's you can legally use.
    Must admit I was in the dark about that one. Lucky I'm no gun with a castnet.
    Thanks for the inspiration grunta
    Cheers

mullet.jpg

They are still in decent schools up there ...ended up with 20 in 7 or 8 casts ....all from 250mm to 400mm plus a few nice prawns to...

went out to old woman till the wind blew up.....went up to a spot in petrie creek ....
    they were all over the side scan ...it was like cheating to see which side of the boat to go

found a boat too....
    Attached Images Attached Images