Thread: Summerset 2-1-14

Summerset 2-1-14

Slipped up to Summerset yesterday with the granddaughter to get a few fish to put in the smoker,We where just using live shrimp and salt water yabbies for bait.The yellows where more then willing with nearly a fish on ever bait for awhile , had more then enough after a couple of hours for the smoker as well as releasing quiet a few, by then the grunter had moved in so we headed for homeThe highlight of the morning was the granddaughter caught her first bass which was 49 cm and weighed in just on 2 kg.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3652 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	99306  

Re: Summerset 2-1-14

That's a cracker! Well done.

Jaymart, I read that you used saltwater yabbies. I plan to go an chase bass and yellowbelly more in the local dams at some stage (have not caught one yet) and interested in your post. Do you catch many with the salt water yabbies and were they live/fresh? I have frozen fresh salt water yabbies in the past and they have held up fine when thawed.

Also ripper of a bass!

Thats a nice bass your grand daughter caught there, well done.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Mortyb
    They where live, we dig them the day before and keep them in a small esky dry with a cool brick seems to keep them alive for at least 24 hours,
    some days we catch more on them then on the fresh water shrimp.
    Have also caught quiet a few bass on them as well but on a whole the shrimp seem to work better with the bass.
    Salt water yabbies kept in metho in the fridge in my opinion make one of the best tilapia baits and will the last for months
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Martin

Thanks Jaymart. I have kept saltwater yabbies alive in a similar ame way when fishing in estuaries a couple of days in a row. I usually freeze my yabbies in saltwater so using metho will be a new trick to try. Cheers.

yep metho is the go...makes them a bit tougher to....

thats a top bass, were the yellas of any size?

Ive always found live shrimp to be the best in dams and creeks for bass. but I have seen the saltwater yabbies do really well too.
    I can get bags of shrimp delivered to Brisbane weekly, PM me for the phone no.

Heres a video using shrimp exclusively

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Guys,

Years ago I used Saltwater Yabbies in Somerset, did very well on the Golden Perch.
    From my understanding it is now against the law to use Saltwater yabbies in any of the freshwater dams, dead or alive !

You might want to check this before your next trip.

Regards
    Craigie

I haven't got the email anymore but I did ask Qld Fisheries that question once and was told it was ok because the saltwater yabbies couldn't survive in the dam.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>