Thread: Best they have ever been (rivers)

Best they have ever been (rivers)

I fished the Condamine River at Archers crossing near Chinchilla on the long weekend in October and the water was reasonably clear and the fishing was great. The Yellow belly were responding to spinners and lures as well as bait in good numbers. The average size were in the 40 cm range and some of the bait guys were catching 40 or so for the weekend.
    I recently fished the Dalrymple near Allora and the Yellow belly were over sized and more than willing to clobber my well presented spinnerbait or lure even in the middle of the day. The best one would have been around the 7 pound mark.
    I cant remember ever seeing either river or creek and the fish in them in better condition.
    Plenty of shrimp and yabbies and lots of small bait fish for the kids to catch and red hot fishing for the grown ups as well as a good feed thrown in.
    Can't wait to get back there and have a crack at a cod.
    Best spinnerbait was a bassman 1/4oz in purple and best lure was one of my hand made timber lures in natural colour both fished on a slow roll.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roly phone 054.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	99305  

Re: Best they have ever been (rivers)

Nice work!! Planning on going to the bollon when it cools a bit. Hoping they get rain soon though

Hey Roly nice Yellow Belly,long time no see or speak, I have been catching some nice Cod at Glenlyon. Give me a call when you can 55454684. Brian

Yes the Condamine has been fishing well since the floods, slowing down a bit now since the heat, water levels are getting very low and needs a good flood again, went for my first cod less trip Thursday since the 2012 floods, still picked up a yella to save face.
    Cheers Rossco

Hit the same spot last week after winter and thought it would be still too cold. Tried some different lures and techniques but the only one that worked was the 1/4 oz Bassman spinnerbait in Hodgie colour. Had a few follows with hard bodies etc but the only takers were on the favourite, although I tried hard to find something else that worked. The water temp was low as I had to swim out to retrieve my favourite spinner.

Good report thanks Roly, hope to catch up on the rivers again one day.
    Jack.