Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cape. Fishing. Camping. info required

Question The Cape. Fishing. Camping. info required

Hi people,

If I were to head to the Cape at the right time of the year I need to know something.

1... What do I NOT take.

I know what to take as far as vehicle, camp, fishing, clothing, food etc. I also know that everyone that makes this trip takes way too much, food, fuel, spares, fishing gear etc etc........ so I am really asking if anyone has done this trip maybe twice or more and learned a few lessons they wouldn't mind passing on.

To assist you in replying.

I have a 2013 Colorado Space Cab with fully sealed / enclosed checkerplate canopy. Manual. Diesel. Dual battery with Red Arc. Diesel care filters. ARB bar.

I have many years of offroad experience.

2...... What did you take that turned out invaluable, but not considered that , at the time of packing ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: The Cape. Fishing. Camping. info required

Nylon nuts to put the numberplate back on after it vibrated off (then got stolen but thats another story).

Lived up there for 12 years. Take a boat and go to Mapoon.

I had a 10 ft tinnie on top, wish it was a 12.Also wish I had a map of all the hard to find locations that I read about once I got back. Now, a gps with the 4wd mapping would be first on the list. It would be easier doing it with another vehicle if you're going to the remotest places.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER1 View Post
    Lived up there for 12 years. Take a boat and go to Mapoon.
    Thanks. I have heard a lot about Mapoon, from others as well as AF member Daintreeboy. It may not be on our destination list.. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    I had a 10 ft tinnie on top, wish it was a 12.Also wish I had a map of all the hard to find locations that I read about once I got back. Now, a gps with the 4wd mapping would be first on the list. It would be easier doing it with another vehicle if you're going to the remotest places.
    I am about to recieve some of the latest maps from Hema, in the post. I believe there may be a few vehicles going.

LP

Hey Phill
    If you don't plan on spending too long in one place a rooftop tent would be one to put on the list.Quick to set up after a day of driving and also keeps you out of the way of any snapping handbags that haunt the rivers...

Cheers Dazza

PS
    I'm not sure if PINK drinks are permitted at the Cape.

Hi Phil, If you want unlimited herrings (dead) for bait...(which will catch everything up there) you need to take a bottom closing cast net for underneath the wharf at sesia (daytime) Small squid jigs will catch cuttlefish off jetty at night.
    I have fished the escape river system a couple of times, but like the look of the mapoon area. Used a 4.1m quinny and 40hp o.b. anything smaller would be dangerous IMHO. Cheers John

Hi Phill, something invaluable to us was a fat bag of zip ties, they saved the day a few times, amazing what can rattle loose on the corrugations.

A couple of rolls of cloth tape or duct tape was pretty handy for masking around tail gates ( you believe your dust seals are ok until you hit the talc like dust and it is a nasty surprise when you stop).

We did 2 trips in the 1990"s and you are right most people take way too much, thus over loading the 4 wd and adding to the chance of a failure. Also be aware there are a lot of bone heads that treat the trip as who gets to the tip first wins, they have little regard for any ones safety including their own.

When are you thinking of going LP?...I'm going in April/May to the Coleman and maybe the Kendel with som mates from Cairns who regularly get up that way. A good basic toolkit would be on the list and a puncture repair kit with it.......obviously some sort of beer fridge and a back up esky....Mozzie dome and thermacell dunny paper and steak........mmmm......hand line......comfy camp chair.......reclining type with beer holder would be good.......yep that should be enough.Dan
    Confidence.......the feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

A few rolls of Duct tape and some Selley's Knead It, have repaired staked radiators etc with this and always have some in the kit.

And don't forget to keep ask the locals on capeyorkforum

Thanks guys, seems ya telling me what TO take, which is helpful, but I need to know what NOT to take. Probably a hard question ???

I probably don't need a whinch, HF radio, max trax, alcohol, 2 spare tyres, hi lift jack, koala melting spotlights, Ugg Boots or Glock !!

I have.

full recovery kit and tool kit. Jerrys. GPS. Maps. Enthusiasm. Sleeping equip. minimal cooking equipment. 12V fridge. Fishing gear.

Thinking May June ???

cheers

Hi Phill, our first trip ( 1995) was in a 1985 Pajero, we had a winch, hi lift jack, traction mats, hugely expensive communication system, we went via the Telegraph up to the tip and then camped out for 4 weeks at a couple of beaches. Even in the Pajero we never once used any of our fancy gear, so I think your on the right track with what NOT to take. We had 750 x16 road grippers fitted for a total of zero flats. (We did have 2 spares)

The 2nd Trip was in my 1984 BJ42 SWB Landcruiser , I didn't have any fancy gear, just a tool kit and basic recovery kit, a 12 volt fridge, small gas stove, 2 person tent, spare water and basic food items. ( If it didn't fit in the back of the shortie it stayed behind. I ran 235/85/16 tyres for zero flats.

Mick.

Don't take Cobiaman .... that'll save a lot of space ....
    Jim