Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Cape. Fishing. Camping. info required

Re: The Cape. Fishing. Camping. info required

Don't take ya Fraser Island surf fishing gear. Hahaha how to spot the tourist!

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Two View Post
    What NOT to take?

Snorkle
    camp oven
    too much fishing gear
    chainsaw
    carrying too much water, food & fuel
    Gas bottle
    Keep it simple & travel as light as possible
    If you only going to use once or twice don't bother

It will be hard to stay away from the tourists

I agree with most of those, nothing cast iron, 80L of water, chainsaw, etc but yes to the snorkel with a sock filter and you'll need a gas bottle to cook with at breaky and or lunch, cant always build a fire. and agree with go as light as you can cause you'll end up heavy anyway,

I don't have heavy duty coil springs so adding airbags to help from the rear sagging, dual battery setup is good but only if you have a fridge freezer to look after, inverters can stay at home along with all there power draining mates, spares for your 4wd, research weak points of your vehicle and make up your mind on whats overkill, you've got under 6 months till you go, same as me, and it'll come up quick, it's a big trip and it does need alot of planning ahead like you already know, I'll be going up the creb, ott, frenchmans, palm and others but I won't be goin down gunshot Haha, Have a great trip Phill and might see ya up there, Cheers

http://www.cape-york-australia.com

have a read

never been there but going July - August

cheers

peter

Guys
    regarding the snorkel ,the cape will be dry that time of year, you will still get the dust from oncoming vehicles,save your money for something else,

use a single can burner the dual ones are too bulky, no need for gas bottle -use the cans

Air bags are good, still be carefully with the weight especially with dual cabs, some weights of the trays are quiet low and I have seen a few chasis bend..

Ps when you see the "DIP" sign it means slow down

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_Two View Post
    Guys
    regarding the snorkel ,the cape will be dry that time of year, you will still get the dust from oncoming vehicles,save your money for something else,

use a single can burner the dual ones are too bulky, no need for gas bottle -use the cans

Air bags are good, still be carefully with the weight especially with dual cabs, some weights of the trays are quiet low and I have seen a few chasis bend..

Ps when you see the "DIP" sign it means slow down
    I went in August 2013 and some of the crossings were still windscreen deep even though it was a very dry wet season prior.....

and a snorkel helps immensely with dust.... Most air intakes on vehicles are under the front guards.... So you will have dust constantly not just from oncoming vehicles.....

Phil,
    do you plan to take a car topper? If not I know someone with a nice big open tinny which would get you to all the good fishing spots. I'm sure he wouldn't mind letting it go to the Cape.
    Brett

We may cross paths Phil, I am locking in a cape trip with a medium size group with at least 3 or 4 + vehicles.
    We depart 30 May for estimated 3 week trip.
    No boat, 2 people only per vehicle. May not be a lot of fishing which is a shame ?

You won't have room for a boat, if the RED collection is making it's way north

My plan ( or the plan ) is for fishing to be the priority. Reaching the Cape is just a thing that will happen, if it happens.

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The best fishing I had up there last year was at Pennefather river just north of Weipa...... its something special even without a boat....

We were sight casting to Cobia off the beach along with Salmon, Queenies, Spaniards and Barra.... even caught a barra sitting around the camp at night with a handline and live mullet....

Yep.... Weipa and the Mapoon area is on the cards

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phill, Craigie and I plus about 6 others are meeting at Laura on 2nd June (weather permitting) for our trip to Cape. If your about be good to catch up. And we will be fishing on way up and back. Sav

Phil i went up in 2010 in my colorado duel cab via the old telegraph track .You definately will need the snorkel.You definately will come over and borrow my custom 3 piece barra spin ,i loaned it to friends to take through the territory and they bought back photos of queenies 62cm without the heads.Back to vehicle.electrical a couple of spare fuses ,wire and cheap mulitmeter.I jerry of fuel and 1 of water or get a life saver water bottle or one of there jerry cans.Good all terrain tyres with puncture kit although we had no punctures we had seen others.Work out the kit with the others who are coming so your kits dont comprise of the same items.We had all the recovery gear including winches and used none of it but one kit between mutiple veheciles would be sufficent.

Verila pt is a must take a tinnie [i think i spelt it wrong] you will have fun driving over the log bridge towinf the camper,The wife got out and couldnt watch.hehe.we also took car bra's as a precaution in the water only used them on the ott crossing the ford there .
    the rest is take your time and have a ball.
    Graham

Phil
    We did the trip last year.
    The one thing that we really wished that we took was a boat. It would have opened up so many options for fishing and made life that much more enjoyable. It is very frustrating watching boats trolling only 300-400 m offshore and getting into the spanish mackerel whilst you are stuck on the beach chasing small trevally!

The one item that proved a godsend, and was almost left behind, was the high-lift jack. Have never needed it before, but when we were on the Frenchman's Track we somehow managed to crack a wheel hub on the trailer, seizing the bearings and sending the wheel rolling past the drivers door. With-out the high-lift we would have struggled to make the necessary repairs that enabled us to limp back to somewhere where we could get parts.

If you are heading up to Bathurst Bay, it is worth keeping in mind that the Starke-Wakooka Track generally does open until late in the dry (July-Aug). This would mean traveling there via Laura and Lakefield NP instead.

Cheers
    Sillaginid

Don't take a pool table, one at Bamaga pub still works...i think.
    Boat is a must and me, oi... have a boat...Dozer can do it all LOL
    Cheers
    Cheers,
    Chong

Found a couple pics from my last trip to cape, couple days ago

I need to go back....

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Chong