Thread: Free application for easier waypoint entry into Homeport & Mapsource

Free application for easier waypoint entry into Homeport & Mapsource

Some time back I wrote an application I called E Z Mark to help me enter large amounts of waypoints into Mapsource and Homeport.
    Homeport in particular sucks when it comes to managing and entering large quantities of waypoints.
    In a nutshell you can manually enter marks, or you can copy and paste them from a document or web site.
    The application is set to "stay on top" so when you're cutting and pasting it doesn't dissappear all the time.
    Once you are finished you can export teh data to a GPX file which most GPS units and software can use.
    I've only tested on Garmin GPS and software so I can't guarantee success with other brands.

I have just finished some updates to the program and thought I'd share it freely here.
    I would appreciate a shout out by email or PM if you use it just so I can get an idea of numbers and how it's being used.

The "collections" of waypoints are now stored in an Excel file *.xls so you can manipulate them as you wish.
    This means that if you have the old version, you can't load those text files into this version and vise versa.

Other additions are;
    • Addition of "categories" for use in Mapsource.
    • Ability to delete marks from the collection (in case you screw one up)
    • ability to select display mode. i.e. symbol only, name and symbol, description and symbol
    • ability to sort waypoints (makes it easy to identify duplicates or group points in the same area)

you can download the latest version from here

http://www.pictoweave.com/ezmark/

There is also a poorly done tutorial here as i can't be bothered with a help file.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Owen; 30-12-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: video link
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Re: Free application for easier waypoint entry into Homeport & Mapsource

grr, my post disappeared...

in brief, I'll give it a go because my current methods of putting large numbers of waypoints into my GPS60Cx is cumbersome

Thanks, I'll let you know what I think.

Owen, I use the older version as you are aware as having recently helped me out. I love the ease of use of it. Can I use Excel to import the text file as a csv file when I upgrade to the newer version or will that cause me problems, it is no great deal as I have done most of my uploads and only a couple of smaller ones to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Owen, I use the older version as you are aware as having recently helped me out. I love the ease of use of it. Can I use Excel to import the text file as a csv file when I upgrade to the newer version or will that cause me problems, it is no great deal as I have done most of my uploads and only a couple of smaller ones to do.
    No, the old files can't be imported.
    Export them to GPX using the old version before you start using the newer version.
    Cheers,
    Owen

As I have closed down the PicToWeave web site, anyone still wanting EzMark can get it here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_...nMMcxrjj6hQ4Zz

The Youtube tutorial is here

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Some time back I wrote an application I called E Z Mark to help me enter large amounts of waypoints into Mapsource and Homeport.
    Homeport in particular sucks when it comes to managing and entering large quantities of waypoints.
    In a nutshell you can manually enter marks, or you can copy and paste them from a document or web site.
    The application is set to "stay on top" so when you're cutting and pasting it doesn't dissappear all the time.
    Once you are finished you can export teh data to a GPX file which most GPS units and software can use.
    I've only tested on Garmin GPS and software so I can't guarantee success with other brands.

I have just finished some updates to the program and thought I'd share it freely here.
    I would appreciate a shout out by email or PM if you use it just so I can get an idea of numbers and how it's being used.

The "collections" of waypoints are now stored in an Excel file *.xls so you can manipulate them as you wish.
    This means that if you have the old version, you can't load those text files into this version and vise versa.

Other additions are;
    • Addition of "categories" for use in Mapsource.
    • Ability to delete marks from the collection (in case you screw one up)
    • ability to select display mode. i.e. symbol only, name and symbol, description and symbol
    • ability to sort waypoints (makes it easy to identify duplicates or group points in the same area)

you can download the latest version from here
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_...nMMcxrjj6hQ4Zz

There is also a poorly done tutorial here as i can't be bothered with a help file.

Happy New Year!
    Cheers,
    Owen