Thread: Scum bag crab thieves 1770 Xmas - New Years

Scum bag crab thieves 1770 Xmas - New Years

Currently in Agnes water for our 2week Xmas break and have been sticking the crab pots out in round hill creek for a feed of muddies, one problem is some scum bag/s feel its ok to check/steal others crabs?.. Just want some advice on what one is supposed to say to a 5 and 7year old kid when they ask dad why someone else has checked and stolen our crabs. My kids get just as much joy out of pulling a pot filled with Jennies and undersized bucks as they do with having a keeper or 2. When I catch these scum bags I hope they have some decent head gear and they can explain to there loved ones why they have 2 black eyes.

Re: Scum bag crab thieves 1770 Xmas - New Years

Doesn't it make you furious. They're a different kind of human the turds that do this kind of thing and they have some balls that's for sure. Unless you sit there covertly watching they're very hard to catch in the act. That's another thing that makes it so frustrating.
    Darren

It's not worth it guys..let it go.

People blow up on this site for guys who sink there pots but this is the reason they do. I use to always sink mine for an overnight soak for muddies and nowhere where boats can run over them or strong currents rip through and take them away. In 25 years of doing this I never lost a pot but I always drop them at low tide and hide under mangroves etc and go back just before the next low tide to retrieve. They are high and dry when i drop and pick up. I figure a few hundred $ fine for sinking a pot is far better than 50k in court for GBH charges!!

I have gone well over the score on two occasions when catching (setting them up to be caught) guys that raided and stole my pots and take it from me it's not worth it. Once I was young and just flogged the guy (who is now a pro fisherman believe it or not) and the other time I was old enough to know better and very lucky to get away with what i had done.

Feels good at the time breaking these guys bones but the repercussions that follow even when you never get caught last a life time. It's not the 60's and 70's any more where you can flog someone and when the police finds that person and realises what they have done chips in as well with another flogging and charges them over and above.
    These days you will be the offender and get charged with assault, GBH etc and the offender will get away with not even a slap on the wrist other than what you dished out.

Best bet if your a law abiding citizen is to keep your pots within sight and take them with you when you leave. Less crabs but fun for the kids and no stress and frustration for yourself...Best option.

If your not a law abiding citizen you can set your pots, hide someone in the mangroves with a camera and catch them in the act (thats the law abiding part) then head down to the ramp, park your car well away and wait for them. When one goes to get the car make sure he doesn't get back to the ramp!!!!! make sure you explain what you are doing. Of course make sure you can fight!!!!!!!!! very important!!!!!! or you will get your pots raided and a punch in the head to go with it.

Other options if you are less violent are razor blades in the ropes but once again make sure you have someone in the mangroves because you don't want a fisheries guy pulling your pots and slashing his fingers so you need to be there to alert him.

Just my 2 cents

Even though a good flogging is what they need, that for me would only be a last resort and in self defense only type of choice. The possible repercussions of assaulting somebody are something that always rings loud and clear in my ears. I have a family who depend on me and my ability to support them and if I went away it would turn their life upside down.
    I'd start with giving a filthy mouthful of abuse and take it from there. Always let them throw a punch first. Just have to remember not to go overboard with the response you dish out.

I'm not advocating violence by the way, just my personal view of the subject.
    Darren

My neighbour puts his pots out in front of where we live ,well about five hundred meters out, they get raided quite often , he has seen a few different boats check them recently ,last week he zip tied a Ice cream container lid with "Look up and smile ####### , you are now being photographed stealing and the pictures will be passed onto the police "

I ll ask him if it worked , made me smile though , give them a element of fear I suppose .