Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What on earth is this?

What on earth is this?

Caught this while fishing for bass in Brisbane river. It took a soft plastic on a spinner and took me ages to land it as it put up a great fight.

It was over 45 cms long. Beautiful looking fish but when I tried to fillet it the flesh was sort of mushy (for want of a better word)

I asked people at the boat ramp and we all came up with a list of what it was not - rather than what it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What on earth is this?

It's a tarpon mate.

full of bones and not real good to eat. Great sport fish though

Wow! my first tarpon...

I thought this was big but looking on Google they can grow bigger than my yak

That's a fairly good size one for Australia though mate....they get huge over in the states but rarely see them over 60cm here.

2 kilo vanish on an ugly-stik. Towed me all over the place

To me it looks like a herring.....a very good size one..

This is a tarpon

Definitely a Tarpon Wayneo just not a good photo.... I'm guessing he has taken the photo when he got home and the fins and tail have split....and its a bit tattered yours is fresh out of the water...

Yes, I took the photo when I got home. Once you said "tarpon" I Googled it and you are correct. The give away seems to be the tail on the fin in my hand.

I caught no bass but this made up for it. First one is always good.

Amazing what comes out of the Brissy river

Here is a couple more...

dam looks like a herring....tarpon have slightly different tail...dorsal fin...anal fins ....body shape....tarpon scales don't come off like herring scales ....

I got a few tarpon last weekend ...all in the 50/60cm range

Quote Originally Posted by wrip109 View Post
    Caught this while fishing for bass in Brisbane river. It took a soft plastic on a spinner and took me ages to land it as it put up a great fight.

It was over 45 cms long. Beautiful looking fish but when I tried to fillet it the flesh was sort of mushy (for want of a better word)

I asked people at the boat ramp and we all came up with a list of what it was not - rather than what it is...
    check this out wrip. they can grow quite big. this one is still only a little one.

The giveaway is the filament on the dorsal fin as Wrip has said. 100% Tarpon http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/...ily/33#summary

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    check this out wrip. they can grow quite big. this one is still only a little one.
    Is there a fish in that photo??? :-)

She can come into my Kayak but there would be no room for the fish

Quote Originally Posted by astro66 View Post
    dam looks like a herring....tarpon have slightly different tail...dorsal fin...anal fins ....body shape....tarpon scales don't come off like herring scales ....

I got a few tarpon last weekend ...all in the 50/60cm range
    That one looks evil - check its eyes