Thread: What on earth is this?

Re: What on earth is this?

Funny on the boat ramp. Guesses included:
    Saratoga
    Mullet
    Tailor
    Jew
    And many others - Nobody said tarpon

Not sure how long it was. I have marked 0 to 45 cms on my yak and this was past the end marker by a couple of inches. Had to use my landing net because the gripper in its mouth was useless.

I was looking forward to a good tea but now it will be shark bait

there must be a few different varients of the fish...what I call tarpon are the same as the fish in waynos pics....no thread off the the cordal fin....scales don't come off in your hands ....huge tail ....longer body
    I thought the others were a herring....well they are all related ... mmmmmmm

Mine have been taking zerek live prawns...but watch when they hit the lure....I have been getting them at night at the turn of the tide and running the line through my fingers to feel the hits in the dark but I have some nice cuts to show for it lol they hit that hard.....

Where have you been getting yours Astro?

im open to correction but where the filament on the dorsal fin on my tarpon???

Lying down against the body Wayne...can't really see it when they are wet fresh out of the water because it sticks to the body....

there ya go,,,,

They are a bucket load of fun on silly string and even better on fly. Probably only land one in two or three.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Tarpon, also known as Ox-eye Herring.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

It looks a bit like a boney bream

I'm going to say I'm quiet shocked at this thread....quiet an easy fish to identify.... I'm extremely surprised by the answers you got at the ramp Wrip.... I can understand people not knowing it was a Tarpon but to name those other fish as a possibility goes to show people's lack of knowledge of the fish in the area they are fishing.... Goes to show why people get caught out with having wrong species of fish.....

I don't do the freshwater scene but It looks more like a Boney Bream than the Tarpon I have caught. I have never heard of one at that size though
    untitled.png
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Have a look at the photos in post #9 there is really no other fish with the same mouth arrangement as that except a Tarpon.

Definitely a tarpon. Caught hundreds in the fresh abd salt in darwin up to 70cm

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long and no one has said it...
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Why whatever would you be talking about triple? He he he....