Thread: Game rod Urushi's

Game rod Urushi's

I've been working on these for a while now and all but finished. One more coat of finish on the last Urushi and they're done. The second rod caused me more problems than I really needed. My rod dryer really struggled turning the rod with the Big foot AFTCO rollers which caused the finish to build up along one side of the foot. I had to lightly sand that side back and then re-coat with a very light coat of finish and turn most of it by hand which was a real pain in the butt. I also tried some flocking which turned to s..t and ended up just going with some X flock shrink wrap. I realized it was all my fault anyway as I chose a flocking powder which was a tad too long. Anyway this is the result.

Both rods are on Calstar Boomer Jnrs. One is cut to a finish length of 5' and the other 5'6"

Regards to all
    Mark
    Outback Rods
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Game rod Urushi's

Sensational work as usual mate. What's flocking?

Very nice job Mark.
    That Urushi looks brilliant.
    Good to see work getting posted in this site :-)

works of rod art and should never be fished and when i thought that silver city was the best you pulled out the other one and the reddy brown with the white just makes that rod look even better....... excellent building Mark,cheers chris.

Ps mark got a name for them ENVY rods who ever ends up with one of these rods, all the others will be envious of them.

Looks great Mark!
    Almost camo.

Cheers
    Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Another great build Mark

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Flocking is a process where you apply a base coat of an adhesive over cork or something similar. Then you spray fine nylon "flocking" powder over the adhesive. These grips turn out really nice and are super hard wearing. I've done a few recently which turned out great but I really stuffed up with the one I wanted to go on these game rods. I couldn't get the adhesive I wanted into Australia from the USA and tried something which didn't work. Back to the drawing board for the next try! I've found out an oil based enamel paint will do the job.

Yep they look great and I reckon they will reform just as well. Super work Mark.

Cheers
    Pedro

nice work mark..as always
    for daintreeboy re flocked grips .............
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...40-flock-grips
    and ............
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...t-croix-3C66HF
    just a couple i have done with flocked grips