Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noosa Ramp Claims Another Victim

Noosa Ramp Claims Another Victim

Juna & I had just pulled off the sand to head out this morning when the elderly fellow we had been talking to started to walk to the bottom of the ramp to get his boat off, when he hit a slippery patch & flew backward, cracking his skull open.
    Put it back on the sand & jumped off to help him out of the water, & a young lad jumped in to help. Got him to the beach & you could see smashed bone where his scalp should have been.
    Juna called the ambulance & they were there in 5 minutes. Young bloke & I drove his car up, secured his boat & locked everything in the car as the wife, very upset, was going in the ambulance with him.
    I have seen this too many tinmes & it is only a matter of time before someone cops a fatal injury. This poor bloke was 70 & it will take him some time to get over this one, & I am sure it will rattle his confidence for the future as well.

Tony

Re: Noosa Ramp Claims Another Victim

That's terrible to her that a leisure activity turns so tragic because of a small mishap hope the gentleman and his wife get through this

Good on you for helping the poor bugger out. I thought council were meant to high pressure spray ramps at low tide periodically to prevent that kinda thing from happening? You'd think that they would be right onto that at this time of the year. Might be worthwhile bringing that to their attention before it claims another victim.

Thanks Tony for providing helpful assistance at the scene. Hope the old bloke makes it back soon.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Good on you for helping the poor bugger! I've gone A over T on a ramp before and was lucky to just have my pride (severely) dented!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Lucky you were there. Can't imagine there was much traffic at the ramp on Christmas morning. Hope the old fella is ok

Not blaming anyone, might have come across that way reading back, apologies. Ramp might need some attention though with thread title. Hope ol' mate comes good, bugger of thing to happen Christmas day.

Whilst its not a time to be yelling at people, it is fair to say that the ramps are way much safer underfoot when they are pressure cleaned regularly. When they are not they are they are like ice. Im constantly warning green horn deckies about it and they still fall over. I would be ringing the council.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

The council up at Bundy have been pressure cleaning about 15 ramps around here......
    But I saw a bit of an incident a few weeks back.
    A 60 ish man was launching a small plastic tender, and got his lady friend to hold on to the shortish rope as he backed the 4X4 down, he had undone the shackle up front so as to just slide it off, but it dragged the little lady down into the water.....
    She said next time leave the F8$&#$ boat tied to the trailer......

randell

You think council would have a legal & moral obligation to make a public boat ramp in good condition.

They do clean occassionally, but probably only yearly. I would have thought the potential of suing would be enough to motivate them. It is such a litigious world we live in, I'm surprised its not down as a regular maintenance issue at least every quarter. Wait for the full moon, book it in & get it done.
    I'm tempted to take my gear down & do t, but as Juna says, something goes wrong, & they'll come looking for me.

Tony

Most councils have contractors blast them each month on the biggest lows. They still get very slippery prior to this treatment
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If it is the ramp at the round-about at Thomas Street it was fairly slippery a couple of weeks ago when I was up at Noosa on holidays

Is it the local council's responsibility or the State Government's? I don't know, I do know when discussing problems with the public parking a Wellington Point ramp MP Mark told us
    “Queensland Transport owns the ramp and Council is responsible for the land-based facilities".

Quote Originally Posted by Stik-ugly View Post
    If it is the ramp at the round-about at Thomas Street it was fairly slippery a couple of weeks ago when I was up at Noosa on holidays
    Yes, it was the closest to the tennis courts.

Discussions about cleaning ramps is helpful but not the solution entirely. I do feel for the old guy , he must have hit hard. I will bet he would be saying " I'm a goose for wearing my thongs on the ramp, I should have known better!" Or words to that effect. Is there signage at the ramp caution ramp slippery at low tide?

Santa brought me new crocks which I notice have chunky souls, I will give them a test next time I am out, they might hang on well on slippery ramps, but I will never trust any footwear no matter what it is I am wearing.

Scalem