Thread: Suzuki Jimny or Grand Vitara

Suzuki Jimny or Grand Vitara

So my next car I'm thinking of getting either the suzuki grant vit, or jimny.
    I mainly want to do beach and sometimes the odd off-road.
    I'm mainly getting it for my kayak which my current car is fine (ford focus)
    but when people go camping to places that 4wd can only access
    it would be nice to have a 4wd. I'm only wanting a small one as I don't
    take heaps people around.

I know the grand vit isn't 4wd but I seen videos of it going on the beach fine and also
    offroad tracks plus it has good back storage. The jimny I have found is pretty sweet but not much storage
    plus I'm 6'1 so I've heard the jimny can be not so great for taller people..
    Any advice one both those cars or any other small 4wd's that are capable like the suzuki jimny?

Re: Suzuki Jimny or Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by GreekBoi View Post
    I know the grand vit isn't 4wd but I seen videos of it going on the beach fine and also offroad tracks
    Only the base model Grand Vitara isn't 4WD, the other models have a full time 4WD system and to be honest the Grand Vitara is a surprisingly good off-roader.

I used to own an earlier one and it would go anywhere my D22 4WD dual cab would go (comparing stock to stock) provided you kept in mind the fairly soft shocks and moderated your speed.

They do benefit from a decent set of shock absorbers (like most 4 wheel drives).

The main downside is that they haven't got much space behind the 2nd row of seats but if you're using them for 1 or 2 people the rear seats lay down giving plenty of carry space.

Can't comment on the Jimny, never driven one but as compact 4x4 vehicles go I'm a fan of the Grand Vitara.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Grand Vitara is 4WD and has low range but they need a bit of a lift and some tyres to go well without dragging its belly through the sand in the deep ruts. Two of us camping with esky, tent, gazebo, water etc is still ok room wise if you pack it right. The Jimny would be too much of a squeeze and load it up a bit too much for the little 4 cylinder.

Too Urbane for me...what about something larger but possibly (even) cheaper/possibly older, throughout your entire ownership lifetime cheaper also....so many new off-road options might open up over time...depending on your personality.

I see that Grays online has a army release of landrover 110's up for sale......it's up to you to say no to the guys wanting to tag along.
    Jack.

'02 Grand Vitara two door here,Prety good off road but as said,a bit low.Also supprising is that it chews more fuel than my XR8 on the highway.I think they did away with the dual range 4X4 after '05.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    '02 Grand Vitara two door here,Prety good off road but as said,a bit low.Also supprising is that it chews more fuel than my XR8 on the highway.I think they did away with the dual range 4X4 after '05.
    Banshee - that's no quite correct. A two wheel drive wagon version was added recently, but all 4WD models are dual range with a dual transfer case allowing them to be flat towed. In recent years they moved to an integrated and bonded ladder chassis and with that, constant four wheel drive became standard. But still very much a true four-whee-drive with a transfer case an high an low ranges (now operated by a rotating button) rather than being an all wheel soft roader. There is no two door - only fives and threes with the exception of the somewhat unique X90. Jimny is a sensation - more so in recent years with coil suspension. Hope that clears some confusion.