Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP jacksons creek

RIP jacksons creek

Was down chasing a feed of mudcrabs at Nudgee on the weekend and noticed that my favourite haunt is now no more..

Just alot of cleared land, fill and excavation equipment..

Cribb Island, Serpentine Creek and now Jacksons creek buried under tarmac, when will it end?!

Thanks Brisbane Airport Corp for ruining yet another a pristine habitat, shame shame shame!

Soon I will have to start fishing for planes..

Re: RIP jacksons creek

We use to sneak in there and chase muddies just after they built the Floodway, when all those floating drums were strung across the mouth. Anyone have any idea what year would that be?
    ~~~><))))*>

I am going to take a punt on early 80's!

I was only a few years old at the time but have memories of the red drums across the front fishing with dad as a child..

Kedron Brook is still there, thats about the only thing but!

This really saddens me. There is such little foresight in this.

I have to say that I have lots of gratitude for whoever zoned Coochiemudlo, the place I now call home. The way it is, is that there is a ring road around the island. People live on the inside of the ring road (mostly), and the other side is beach or mangroves. There are no absolute beach frontages. Everybody gets to use all of the beaches. The beaches are really the social hubs of the island. It's such an intelligent approach. And it isn't only the beach access, of course, but it's also that there is a buffer zone of land between the beach and the houses. I love the way it works so well.

Where would we build a new Brisbane Airport if not on the current site?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Inala maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Somewhere just west or south of Ipswich.
    ~~~><))))*>

Do what the rest of the world does co-locate military and civilian. Amberley would be ideal and the run ways are already there. The military could make money renting the run ways and not be so dependant on the tax payer. They are looking at doing it at Richmond airforce base NW of Sydney.

"Where would we build a new Brisbane Airport if not on the current site?"

Plenty of places on other BAC owned land?

What about the now vacant and wasted old international runways?

If you take a close look at what BAC actually own in the way of land there is ample space for numerous extra runways, and not on top of marine habitat!

Clearly this came down to a design/plan that best suited BAC's future needs and nothing else?!

I had to laugh on the weekend, was telling another close mate who has grown up crabbing the area about what has taken place in the last few months and he summed it up perfectly..

"So I can be fined $300 for breaking off a mangrove branch to put with my mud crabs some time ago, but they can wipe out all the mangroves and an entire eco system and get away with it"

Bunch of muppets..

They would like to use the old runways as it would be a lot cheaper but the well of at bulimba, Hamilton ascot etc don't like the flight paths over their rooves.

It is very interesting going back over very old maps of the area and seeing what was there before the airport........
    Jack.

Very little apart from creeks and mangroves?

Oh and a township/suburb called Cribb Island..

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Oh and a township/suburb called Cribb Island..
    http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2013/05/cribb-island.html

1if7u.jpg
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Couple of good refidex pics in here of pre airport and when bishop island was still at the mouth or the river.
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=723512
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.