Thread: Flying with rods - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Flying with rods - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

I am flying interstate in the next couple of days. I have just bought a new surf rod for the occasion.

Was hoping someone might be able to tell me how serious some of the airlines take their "bulky items" size restrictions.

The flight we are on has a 190cm length size limit for bulky items. I have a pvc pipe full of rods and it is 200cm in length. I have been looking forward to this trip all year and have paid more than what I should have for a surf rod that I am now dredding will not be joining me on my fishing adventures.

If anyone has any experience with these matters than I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Flying with rods - URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

It depends on the airline.......some pack everything into cargo containers and load those things directly to the hold, others hand load every item into the hold packing as they go. The second type can take over length items.
    I watched Virgin baggage handlers last week hand loading a plane and Qantas container loading another......
    Jack.

Jacks on the money but I think it depends more on the type of plane that you are flying on and how they pack the cargo as I have been on a virgin flight with cargo containers.

Haven't had a problem with 2m tubes In the last couple of years on either Virgin or Jetstar.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Virgin are better. I had lots of issues with Jetstar. Actually Virgin give you more luggage allowance for sporting goods such as fishing gear.

Should be no problem at all, My snowboard bag is 2.1 m and it goes fine everytime. You just have ask them where do you check in sporting gear baggage and you will be fine.
    Humility is not a weather condition.