Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SHAREFARMERS......no respect for royalty

Re: SHAREFARMERS......no respect for royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    Because i do not think that the bastards would want to be doing what they are doing in large conspicuos boats, just an educated guess.

There are a zillion tinnys running around the bay.
    Yeah , no worries . Everyone is entiteled to their opinion .
    Shawn

I honestly believe that this situation has got out of control. Commercial crabbers outlay a huge sum of money both in licence fees and continual replacement of pots not to mention fuel and bait. They are continually feeling the effects of both crab and pot theft. This situation will eventually end in a fatality when they reach the end of their patience. I know of one crabber who had suspected thieves in the sights of his high powered rifle. I am a recreational crabber and know how angry I feel when I find pots stolen or interfered with. One solution is to get to know the pro's that work in your area. Meet up with them at the ramp and introduce yourself. identify their pots, colours and markings and agree to keep a watchful eye on them when you are working the same area. They in turn can do the same for you. I know I am being a bit naieve because not everybody is honest but it's a start.

mini,its not only recs that raid pots ,I know a few honest pro crabbers then I also know a few that I wouldn't trust as far as I could kick them..last thing I will do is tell any1 where I am settin my pots.i have seen pro crabbers pull other peoples pots and have also seen recs pull pro pots...a joke yes..there is a pro crabbin near my pots at the moment,he beat me there this morning and my closest pot near his mind u 50mtrs away was the only pot I pulled that had no crabs in it at all and bugger all bait...bit suss when he steamed away as soon as I got there...I recon if I was another hr later the whole lot would of been clean out.

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    mini,its not only recs that raid pots ,I know a few honest pro crabbers then I also know a few that I wouldn't trust as far as I could kick them..last thing I will do is tell any1 where I am settin my pots.i have seen pro crabbers pull other peoples pots and have also seen recs pull pro pots...a joke yes..there is a pro crabbin near my pots at the moment,he beat me there this morning and my closest pot near his mind u 50mtrs away was the only pot I pulled that had no crabs in it at all and bugger all bait...bit suss when he steamed away as soon as I got there...I recon if I was another hr later the whole lot would of been clean out.

No question about that one either.

I had known since the early 90s' when a pro crabber i knew was mentioning all the time how it wasn't only amateur crabbers raiding pots but some pro's as well, raiding each other's pots

BUT at least you would still get a good feed, with the odd tally left behind by the thieves, and I never had a problem with leaving pots overnight, to find some missing the next morning, the days of the honest thief are long gone, one never likes others to steal their crabs, but at least unlike today, you were not up for the cost of replacement gear

nowadays with there being a lot more people crabbing, and a lot more raiders around its a lot harder to get a feed unless you sit on our pots

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin Sea View Post
    How did you go today Rosco? I frequently go crabbing in 15 kts + of wind trying to beat the theives, assuming most are in small boats.

Only other effective way is to not put them under floats, but that entails other risks.

The sad thing about this issue is that i bet a lot of the theives are on this site.(shock, horror).

Plicks!

LOL...champ...are you serious???

By the comment about not putting them under floats, I am ASSUMING (Tho you will probably come up with some unbelievable explanation) that you are prepared to bend/break the rules/laws that most of us on here abide by, to suit your own requirements. Says it all I reckon.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Rosco's on it....last night i soaked 4 pots from 7.00 till 4.30am this morning and lost count of the jennies but only three sized males.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post

By the comment about not putting them under floats, I am ASSUMING (Tho you will probably come up with some unbelievable explanation) that you are prepared to bend/break the rules/laws that most of us on here abide by, to suit your own requirements. Says it all I reckon.
    Didn't you have your prunes today champ? So much hostility, santa comes Wednesday, take a chill pill.

Over before i start to take offence.

VS.

LOL...champ...are you serious???By the comment about not putting them under floats, I am ASSUMING (Tho you will probably come up with some unbelievable explanation) that you are prepared to bend/break the rules/laws that most of us on here abide by, to suit your own requirements. Says it all I reckon.
    Mate - get down from that high horse. Considering crab pots are worth $20-40 bucks a pop, I don't blame anyone from deciding to take measures in ensuring their pots don't get nicked.As a kid, if we wanted to set a pot overnight we used to tie our pots to the bank with 100lb fishing line - no float. Yes, it's against the rules, but we never set more than 2 pots and we never had a pot stolen. It was the only way you could ensure not having your pot stolen.I wouldn't do it today purely because I don't need the drama of copping a fine from the fisheries - but geez it's disappointing that you can't leave your pots out of sight without worrying some gutless jobba will steal your crabs/pots

Quote Originally Posted by rexwatto View Post
    Mate - get down from that high horse. Considering crab pots are worth $20-40 bucks a pop, I don't blame anyone from deciding to take measures in ensuring their pots don't get nicked.As a kid, if we wanted to set a pot overnight we used to tie our pots to the bank with 100lb fishing line - no float. Yes, it's against the rules, but we never set more than 2 pots and we never had a pot stolen. It was the only way you could ensure not having your pot stolen.I wouldn't do it today purely because I don't need the drama of copping a fine from the fisheries - but geez it's disappointing that you can't leave your pots out of sight without worrying some gutless jobba will steal your crabs/pots
    Its quite legal to tie off to a tree etc. I think most of us were thinking along sand crabbing lines and its pretty irresponsible to sink your pots out in that sort of country
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

No offence GH but with over 400,000 members on this forum how could you possibly know most of them and how they all fish/crab?

I'm with you in the fact that I believe that the majority of people are responsible and that they respect other peoples property but the amount of pots being checked or lifted is out of control.

I will be out with a couple of very large and short tempered blokes chasing sandies tomorrow somewhere in the bay and will be within binocular distance of my pots all day so beware share farmers.

Merry Christams All

rexwatto,wish my pots only cost 20-40 bucks a pot..some of mine are more than double that..i don't mind paying for a good pot there are plenty of ordinary pots out there..

What pots do you use Rosco? Guessing you use the larger pots? If I paid any more than $20-40 I'd have a nervous breakdown if someone nicked one - its the only reason I don't shell out more cash.

I get most of mine made by an x neighbour that use to be a pro crabber...depending what thickness ring u want they start at $50a pot..i use 1mtr round pots and have also got a few what are 1250-1300 round I use for deeper water...most of my pots are either 2 or 3 funnel pots,the only pots shop sell that catch near these pots are the Wilson heavy duty pots around $50 each..i have just got a few heavy duty bcf pots the $40 dollar ones, they work ok as well but after 4 days of crabbing with them I am already repairing them....

Rexwatto I'm with you on this. Some of my large pots are Christmas and Birthday presents. Lots of sentimentality so naturally I wouldn't like to lost them. That's why I use cheaper pots overnight and save the better ones for during the day when I am close by.