Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the prawns on yet??

Re: Are the prawns on yet??

Yeah , 25cm models at that too

Met an X Pro last week who cast up some of the best quality bananas you could hope for - in the pin! I thought nah, probably an exaggeration or he dreamed it.... then I was told the same thing from another bloke, totally unrelated and I doubt they know each other, So I would certainly be getting ready and watching the stretch of water from Jacobs well boat ramp to Horizon shores boat anchorages, and its not very far down from there to the mouth of the Logan. Game on soon I reckon!

Scalem

Scalem,

There have been a few getting around, I spotted 6 boats this morning down near the prawn farm and further out down towards Rudy Maas.

Bondy

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Hey Pero! You been poaching prawns on the Northside again.
    Heard that the Caboolutre River, Ningi Creek and the Pine have been on fire. I'm to old to do cast netting now just buy them from the trawlers at Sandgate

Cheers
    Barry

Hey Barry,
    If your too old shoot me a pm. I will happily take you out in my tinny. I can catch the prawns whilst you relax, and enjoy the time on the water. It must be killing you not being able to catch the prawns.A
    nd when we are finished. You take prawnies.

Quote Originally Posted by dayoo View Post
    Hey Pero! You been poaching prawns on the Northside again.
    Heard that the Caboolutre River, Ningi Creek and the Pine have been on fire. I'm to old to do cast netting now just buy them from the trawlers at Sandgate

Cheers
    Barry

There seem to be a few hitting the Pine above the Highway bridge every morning when I pass at about 6.15.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Anyone who's thrown a net in Ningi creek, how far up do you have to go ? My boat's too big to go past the sharp bend at the old oyster leases at the boat ramp. There are a few holes around there but I've never had much luck.

Maybe I need to throw this generic net out and get one off Pero and buy myself a yellow raincoat ><

this weekend's tides look great for prawning, bugger all run in them
    i will be back on the pine this sunday low tide
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Fillet.

There is a good hole just upstream of the ramp at the end of Freeman Road at Toorbul.

That is where we got the good haul of prawns last week. Pretty clean bottom so no worries about snagging up your net. At the bottom of the tide, we were getting regular hauls of more than 30 prawns a cast. Ended up with 18 litres of prawns for around 3 hours casting for 2 people.

Well worth a look around there this weekend.

Cheers

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fillet`n`Release View Post
    Anyone who's thrown a net in Ningi creek, how far up do you have to go ? My boat's too big to go past the sharp bend at the old oyster leases at the boat ramp. There are a few holes around there but I've never had much luck.

Maybe I need to throw this generic net out and get one off Pero and buy myself a yellow raincoat ><
    Yellow raincoat

Met up with Bazza off here and we both went out for our first session this season. Headed to Logan trolled around for about an hour, a few boats out and about but none seemed to be having much luck. As the tide turned to a low a few where jumping close to the bank and we worked them for about 45mins They went off and we moved up to where quite a few boats where. (near a yellow kind of shed on the bank) not sure of the name of it. Cast there for about 45mins getiing one's and 2's mixed between small and large.
    All up ended with about 5kg's between us, we were both happy with that.
    Neighbour headed out on Saturday to Nudgee he got his bucket just after sunrise in about an hour. unsure where he went.

That's prawning. Always on the move.
    Bondy

good to hear a report from nudgee.
    The light winds this morning should see a few nets being thrown out there

Ok Fellas

I'm new to this prawnin caper so i am after a bit of info for Nudgee
    If you head out from Nudgee is there any particular areas or depths you start looking at.Is it the same as casting the rivers ie tides dependent or is it more a time of day. Wouldn't mind heading out Sat morning for a throw.
    Any advice appreciated.

Cheers Dazza

Dazza
    you head out then around to the right towards the mouth of the brissie. You will see the boats.
    The weather has to be pretty good also , it gets rough as guts out there.

this was nudgee last yr 4th may. They were thick from mid april - mid may out there
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=prawnies