Thread: weather up here has turned bloody terrible apparently

weather up here has turned bloody terrible apparently

After a week of 15-20knots SE. it has turned to
    approx 10 knots east Se. Heading out of mooloolaba at 0400 tomorrow yeah!!!

Re: weather up here has turned bloody terrible apparently

Yep, were going chasing spotties tomorrow too.

New leaders tied on all rods. - check!
    Reels that were low respooled - check!
    Rusty hooks on slugs changed for new shiny sharp ones - check!
    Boat fueled and reeady to go - check!
    Deckie organised ....... Ah, bugger, thought there was something Id forgot. On the phone now.......

its looking like a good day to be on the water. But need to have lots of refreshments/cold water handy, its going to be hot out there!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Looks the goods as far as conditions go,but the rat race will be on with all the boaties out on the water.....Im going, but where are the fish???
    got a few last weekend. Hope they still there.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Want to give me any tips meg- a- bite? you heading out of mooloolaba? What channel do you use? Would be nice to meet another ausfisher

I'll be chasing the spots on Sunday. Hopfully they are playing the game.

Cheers Rob

Rtp1984i will let you know where they are if I find them

Thanks mate. Good fishing tomorrow

Well the spots were conspicuous by their absence off Bribie Is this morning. No birds around, and saw no fish breaking the surface. Spun the beacons but there were too many boats around to make it comfortable. Saw one small schoolie boated.

Had to deploy "Plan B" which was to drop plastics on some reefy spots we have in the same area. Great shows of bait and arches, but it was slow going.

I was lucky to get the first decent hit and after a good tussle on the 20lb braid, had a 81cm snap (5kg exactly) in the ice slurry in the esky.

A few drifts later, deckie Rod had a similar if not stronger run on his SP. Head banging, it was clearly a very good snapper. Eventually the runs stopped and he started to get some line back on the reel. But half way up, the hook just pulled, seems that the fish may have been just lipped and eventually it just got off. Rats!

Persisted for quite a while for no more excitement, and decided to head off when the NE breeze sprung up. Turned out to be a good move because by the time we got back to Scarby it was blowing quite solid and the seas were getting lumpy, but had a great ride in the Surtees sitting on 4700rpm and just under 50km/hr with the wind, swell and chop up our tail.

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

It was really lumpy today.....found a few bait schools around old woman island and out to the gneerings...no fish around the bait though.... went in around 10am when the wind picked right up
    lucky I fished from 9pm in the Maroochy river for a 70cm flathead and a couple of tarpon around 60/70cm ...

Found some good bait balls at Murphy reef and just south. Had the macs on the surface 4 times. Very skittish. Two or three casts and they were gone. Next action we had the casts landing in the zone when a 4m tinnie sees the birds comes in full noise straight into middle of school and shuts them down. Very tempted to let a few slugs go at them

Had enough and went home. Lucky we did as the NE picked up early.

Went up coolim way from mooloolaba yesterday morning. No spots at all. No birds, no suffice action. There was lots if bait around though.
    Trolled some baits around for a bit and picked up a nice Spanish to make the trip worth while.
    Weather was perfect, so good day on the water.
    Cheers
    Rob

Nice nobby there Moonlighter , still dreaming of my next trip out which i hope wont be too far over the horizon lol.

Heard that the authorities were out and about around the 35s on Saturday too, checking safety gear and eskies for legal fish. Fined quite a few people from what I am told.

Well worth a quick check of your EPIRB, flares and inflatable lifejacket expiry dates guys, plus check that you have everything else that you need in order. Wouldn't want a nasty fine to spoil your holiday fishing trip!

By the way, a few months ago there was another thread, started by Lucky Phill i think, about whether a live bait tank aerator recirculating system was as good as a system that draws clean water in from the ocean.

Well, i had my aerator with me the other day but wasn't planning on using it. But we jagged a couple of yakkas so chucked them in a 20 liter bucket of water and threw the aerator pump in. They thrived. Then got a couple of slimies which fell of the jig and were fairly second hand by the time we grabbed them from on the deck and chucked them in with the yakkas. 10 minutes later they were swimming around happy as larry.

The plan now is to use my spare 60 litre esky as a LBT and based on how well half a dozen livies went in a 20 litre bucket, it should go fine.