Thread: New Member brett62

New Member brett62

Hello people. Just introducing myself to all. Have just entered back into boating and fishing after some 20 years. Once I just about slept in my boat full time but got married, had kids and my job had me traveling all around Australia only coming home for a few days every month. Wife decided that it was time for me to start getting back fishing and relaxing a little more so got the approval to purchase a boat. I brought a Whittley Cruise Master 700 1999 model from a gentleman at Bribie Is. Only had her for 2 months and been out around Bribie a couple of times. I still work away and the weather has not been too good on my time off but gave me an idea of how it handles in the crap sea. Very happy how she performed. The previous owner sold her due to not using it and has had it tied put on a mates pontoon for the last 12 months. He installed a new mercruiser in her 2 years ago and only had 50 hours with the new motor. Came with tender-outboard and all the gear. The electronics had some age on them so I purchased a Lowrance HDS 10 with ss and radar. The big pain was that there was no trailer with her so I got a lend of one and pull it out of the water so I can install the new gear and detail her. I have a few day off over Christmas to get a few jobs completed. I will pull the drive off and the manifolds and check that all is good. I have been reading the posts on Ausfish over the last few months and have gotten some great information as I have never fished this area before as I spent most of my life fishing up north. I purchased the this boat to have some comforts so I can spend a couple of nights out relaxing. I am going to put the boat back in the water at the end of January on the pontoon so I can get fishing. The next job is to build a trailer so I can start towing the boat up the coast to do some fishing around Double Is. I hope to get some help of you people as to local conditions in the bay and maybe tag along for a couple of trips if possible. All the best to you all and may Christmas bring you some good weather and fish.

Re: New Member brett62

Even despite you having a scattered lifestyle it should not be hard to get crew together. I am surprised nobody replied you since your post, but hey, welcome. FYI you should grab copies of the local newspaper called Bush n Beach, one scribe Frank Oostenbroek lives at Bribie and knows all the locals in your area. He fishes often and has great success in what has been his "back Yard" for many years. But many AF members do well there too, just not as public exposure as Frank. Myself? Most times I try catch a big fish at Hutchies I get sent home with my tail between my legs because I locked horns with some big critters and come off 2nd best, ( even Tim D known on here got bricked with 80lb) having spent a lot of money on jigs and fuel which I can't afford to do too often. But your area around Cape Moreton has caught us good YT King, Wahoo and Snapper. I will need to upgrade my reels if I want a better chance of getting the bigger fish. Good luck!

Scalem

Red face Re: New Member brett62

Thanks Scalem for the reply.

I actually was home over the weekend and the son and I put the boat in on Saturday and fished overnight and headed back in Sunday lunch time. We fished in the Bribie passage as the weather was not the best to head out so we spent the time checking out the bridge area and around Nigi creek and everywhere in between. Only caught sting rays, shovel nose sharks and the odd eel. Was a nice time out on the water and gave me and the son time to sort out the new sounder etc. and get organised for further adventures.

I will get a copy of the local mag and have a read. I am sure there would be some good fishing up the creeks but the boat is a little big to fish properly in the creeks. I should have bought a tinny and I am sure I would have caught a feed. Any way that's life.

I am looking forward to getting out once I can arrange my time home with the correct weather.