Thread: Last night off Coochie

Last night off Coochie

Went out last night at around 5.00pm and headed out past the Red Buoy. It seemed like a perfect night, wind about 5 knots, and a very dramatic sunset shot through with lightning.

It was my first real test, anchoring over the side using a shark clip to tether the anchor rope to a small leader rope to the front of the tinnie. Worked like a charm. The shark clip held to the leader rope without any slippage at all.

I caught a bream about 27cm right away and thought that I was in for a good session. But it was not to be. The most excitement was when there was a large explosion of water about a meter from the boat. Looked for all the world like a large barra hit. Scared the hell out of me. It happen twice during the evening.

I caught a small shark and a small ray in the next hour, then nothing. However a few minutes later, my set line (baited with a whole squid, 20lb braid, 30lb leader and a circle hook on a baitrunner outfit) began to unwind. I picked up the rod and leaned back on it, clicked the reel into full drag, and it made no difference. Whatever it was continued on as if there was no drag at all. I tightened the drag as much as I could without breaking the line, and the beast just kept on going. Running out of line, I tightened the drag again, and stopped the fish for a second, started feeling a little hopeful, when it took off again. I tightened the drag again, and must have annoyed it, as it bit me off. I'm thinking shark, and I'm thinking shark rig for my set line next time.

The most notable thing of the whole evening (apart from the peace and quiet) was the number of turtles that were around the boat all evening. Some of them stayed for a long time. I have never seen that happen before. They usually seem a little more shy.

The other notable thing was that being on the water gave me an opportunity to view Coochiemudlo in a completely new light. I hadn't realized how much traffic there is around the island at night. It's like a bloody logjam. I saw at least three cars during the evening. It's a nightmare. :-)

Re: Last night off Coochie

Lot of turtles in the passage at the moment too Peter.
    If you have one surface upwind of you then boy can you smell their fishy breath!
    Cheers

Turtles means crabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably hooked a turtle on the baitrunner. They pull like no ones business

The Southern Bay is absolutely full of Black Tip Sharks at the moment. You might have been hooked up to one of them.

A turtle? Didn't think of that. There were plenty of them around.

In any case, I'm going up to 80lb mono and a wire trace for my set line. That's twice something big has had a go.

We hooked up on 4 Bronzies just South of Sandstone Point in about an hour.
    Only managed to land one but...they go like freight trains on an 8kg baitcaster outfit...wouldn't recommend 20lb fluorocarbon trace lol