Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you loose a crab pot in cabbage tree creek mouth on Friday?

Re: Did you loose a crab pot in cabbage tree creek mouth on Friday?

Just got this off the Fisheries site:

I quote:

"When not attached to a fixed object (for example tied to a tree above the high water mark), all crab apparatus must have a light coloured surface float attached. The float must not be less than 15 cm in any dimension and must be marked clearly with the owner's name."

Guess a milk bottle might qualify for this, but that's all the info I could find.

Amazing the amount of floats out there bearing no markings.

Cheers

Most milk bottles would be 100mm wide at their narrowest. I guess that makes them illegal. Plus the bottles are not uv protected and will go brittle and break eventually. They are easy to hole as well. A bit of expand foam inside would make a difference I guess.

2L and 3L milk bottles aren't legal by the regs as they are less than 15cm wide but there is the comment in the fresh water gear section that says they are allowed.And even if they are that's where the common sense should come into it that losing a $50 pot or even a $15 fcb special is not worth the extra $3.50 for a proper float!!! Ghost pots just keep on taking and taking and taking..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Too true Mate,
    It's a no brainer to spend $14 on 4 proper floats that help your 4 pot investment produce crabs for a long long time.
    Cheers