Thread: Trangia and space saving camping equipment.

Trangia and space saving camping equipment.

Has anyone got a Trangia? I just purchased one because I am intent on getting my camping gear better sorted.

On that note, has anyone got any similar pieces of equipment that save a lot of weight/space?

Re: Trangia and space saving camping equipment.

I've got a Trangia but I haven't used it much for the last few years because it takes a fair bit of time to cook food and I never seem to have to time to sit down and relax and wait, instead I tend to use a small gas cartridge stove which is less cool but lots quicker.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

I have a trangia, had it since I was a kid. Get the gas burner for it, heaps hotter and quicker than the cartridge stoves. Mine has cooked a lot of meals over the years. It was purchased when I used to go bush walking and I could live out of it for a week. I can use mine as stove/oven,grill!! You get pretty creative when you are out walking by yourself for a week. Now its not used for hiking, but camping on motorcycle, boat, car!

Another Trangia user here. HAd mine about 25yrs now and have cooked meals and coffee on it from Bundaberg to Belgium and many places in between. Rain, hail, shine and cyclonic wind - nothing gets in the way of a coffee with one of these. Last 4 yrs it's lived in my seajay and made me and my fishing mate countless coffees and many, many tins of baked beans, chilli and braised steak and onions.

I've always stuck with the metho burner in it because you can always get metho (spiritus in most euro countries FYI) but gas can be much harder to find at 10pm when you're freezing cold and hungry in a foreign country somewhere.

Cool beans, Im going to give the metho a go for a while. The whole unit is smaller than carrying a portable stove. I was originally looking for just a kettle that fits inside a saucepan and then found them online. Can wait to try it out!

If you're going down the metho route get a proper camping fuel bottle. Normal metho bottles split/get punctured pretty easily in a boat. Also - add 10% water to the metho for cleaner burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
    Cool beans, Im going to give the metho a go for a while. The whole unit is smaller than carrying a portable stove. I was originally looking for just a kettle that fits inside a saucepan and then found them online. Can wait to try it out!
    Nothing wrong with the metho burners. For many years there was no gas option for the trangia! Like Spiderpig says, 10% water leaves less soot, but also burns cooler. I used to carry 700ml fuel bottle which would easy last a week. For a 5 day trek, I reckon about half of that was needed. The simmer ring will also reduce fuel usage. If you run out of metho, you can still spark up a wood fire and use it. All my trangia pans and pots are black from wood fires!

image.jpgThese are less than $20.00 on ebay. The burner is all staino and brass. The mini gas canister and the burner fit inside the 2 pans. I got one out of curiosity and it turned out to be one of my better ebay purchases. I use it for kayak camping trips now. Highly recommended. Much faster (much louder too though) than the old trangia, and a very good heat control so the porridge doesn't burn too bad.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Do these run on the small canisters?
    Last edited by Spiderpig; 22-12-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: stupid q

Yes, the normal small ones from the camping shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi