Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

Re: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

You're asking the wrong people mate. All I can say is there were very bloody few anglers who took the time to attend the public meetings. We were vastly outnumbered by local leaseholders and environmentalists. The outcome we received was more than I expected after the apathy shown. You mention a majority, at the last public meeting fishermen were a massive minority.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

From what I've seen in 4 trips to the dam, people are already abusing what they have been given. Exceeding speed limits, one bloke even towing kids in a tube.

Phill we will be in a White Island Shore runabout with a 60Hp 4 stroke.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389931693.524171.jpg

Tom got his first Yellow Belly trolling a bronze RMG Poltergeist 3m+
    Only the 1 plus a heap of catfish

[QUOTE=Richo1;1531691]From what I've seen in 4 trips to the dam, people are already abusing what they have been given. Exceeding speed limits, one bloke even towing kids in a tube.

Richo1 Get your camera out and photograph the people commiting offences and send it off to SEQW.
    If these people continue to thumb their nose we will end up with it being shut down again.

As Aussiebasser said there was very few of us who atttended the meetings and we had to fight hard to get this disspensation. It only takes a few idiots to ruin what we (those that bothered to attend the meetings) worked very hard for.
    Bad_Bazza

It is not up to SEQWater to enforce the rules, it is now a Boating Patrol/police issue. Same as if you see a car speeding on the street, you don't report it to the Council, you report it to Law Enforcement. After the event, SEQWater would not have ant authority to put a name and address to a registration number, only the police can do that.
    Dale

2stroke reason maybe that when they are used at low speed (ie- 6knots) the oil doesn't burn off properly making a very high pollution rate
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowrunner View Post
    2stroke reason maybe that when they are used at low speed (ie- 6knots) the oil doesn't burn off properly making a very high pollution rate

Thanks mate, your probably right......which raises the question, what's the difference between operating them in Sometset or Wivanhoe if this is the concern? Perhaps there days are numbered for Sometset as well.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Allowing something to start, and stopping something that has been happening for many years are two very, very different things to a politician.
    Dale

Anyone know if air cooled carby two strokes with exhaust that doesn't exit the prop into the water are allowed? Tried emailing seq but they keep bouncing back.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Triple. 4 stroke or direct injection 2 stroke. If it isnt those, the answer is no. Not that I care, as long as there aint inboards & jet drives I'm happy.

The days of 2 stroke donks in any waters in Qld are numbered. Won't be long & you wont be abler to buy one, govt are in planning process for phase out of 2 stroke motors of all types for sale right now!! Not just outboard motors but also, including mowers, chain saws, whipper snippers etc. A major reason (Im told) is that we run unleaded fuel with alot of nasties added, the motors mentioned above don't have catalytic converters & we're sucking all those sulphates etc straight into our lungs. 10 times worse than smoking I'm told with no converter.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

I sold my boat, with an almost new 30 HP 2 stroke on it, just so I could fish Wivenhoe.

I now have a kayak with an electric motor. I have made a mistake there too. I bought a 54 Lb thrust electric motor and it is just too big for my small 9 foot yak.

Should have bought something around 30 lbs thrust. Never mind we all live and learn.

Anybody with a tinny want to swap motors? Mine is only been used a couple of times

Minn Kota would be nice at 30 lbs...

So is the 54lb too physically heavy or just chew too many amps compared to the 30lb at lower speeds?

and I know "no" carb two stroke but want them to clarify if the air cooled ones with exhausts that exit out of the water at the motor are allowed as there is no water pollution from them and it's no different to using a 2 smoke whipper snipper on the bank clearing the edge at the parks or a 2 smoke gennie on board a boat on the dam..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by wrip109 View Post
    I sold my boat, with an almost new 30 HP 2 stroke on it, just so I could fish Wivenhoe.

I now have a kayak with an electric motor. I have made a mistake there too. I bought a 54 Lb thrust electric motor and it is just too big for my small 9 foot yak.

Should have bought something around 30 lbs thrust. Never mind we all live and learn.

Anybody with a tinny want to swap motors? Mine is only been used a couple of times

Minn Kota would be nice at 30 lbs...
    One on Evilbay at Robina for a hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    So is the 54lb too physically heavy or just chew too many amps compared to the 30lb at lower speeds?

and I know "no" carb two stroke but want them to clarify if the air cooled ones with exhausts that exit out of the water at the motor are allowed as there is no water pollution from them and it's no different to using a 2 smoke whipper snipper on the bank clearing the edge at the parks or a 2 smoke gennie on board a boat on the dam..
    Not too heavy to carry at about 10 Kilos but my yak does not like it hanging off the side. In the manual, it tells me it draws 45 amps at full bore. That is speed 5 but have no idea what it pulls at speed one (2 knots)

My small battery keeps it trolling for two and half hours.

They tell me it should run off a 100 AH deep cycle battery. If I had a tinny then all would be OK. But the battery at 30 Kilo and the motor at 10 Kilo is a lot of weight near the back of my yak.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    One on Evilbay at Robina for a hundred bucks.
    I think I see the one you mean. The start bid is $150 with a buy it now price of $200.

I think it is the same one as BCF sells new for $219

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Minn-Kota...item3a9233e8cb