Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

Just heard this 5 mins ago, thought I was hearing things. My night is made.

Re: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

Lots of restrictions though: 4 stroke or low pollution 2 stroke. Six knots max.

Not sure of access points either. Wonder if they will re open the gates at the leased areas?

Great news!

Here's a couple of links for the Wivenhoe.

http://www.previous.seqwater.com.au/...s/wivenhoe-dam

This ones a bit about boating regs.

http://www.previous.seqwater.com.au/...20wivenhoe.pdf

Good to have six knots, keep those pesky and nuisance skiers away

Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387925043.937280.jpg

Wivenhoe's Tilapia population is thriving, hope they eat baby catfish as well! Great fight on light gear even got busted off twice on 6 pound leader. Bait worms and prawns fished in 2m just off the bank.

Richo1, Good to see some Tilapia being caught. Any good locations for redclaw in Wivenhoe ? Cheers

First time I've fished it in years, will take the pots up next time. Saw a few red claw shells on the banks not far from the ramp.

This is great news, some of us have been pushing for this for years, I was fortunate enough to be able to submit a submission for this. Regulations are very simple, your motor must be 4 stroke or low emission 2 stroke ie: direct injected. a maximum speed of 6 knots and no PWC allowed, boat ramps are at Logans Inlet, Hamon Cove and later Billies bay which has been leased to the Brisbane Sailing club but they need to fix up the bridges leading to it first. Do be careful as Wivenhoe is a shallow dam with lots of underwater hills etc so when you ufirst go there take your time to navigate your way around. The Rangers are very good there but do remember the regulations will be heavily policed.

why only low emission 2 strokes? That is really a dumb decision.

The dumb decision would have been the low horsepower restriction which was overturned. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, and there will always be some who disagree. Everyone had the opportunity of giving their input.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

but low emission when you can run anything on Somerset. Seems just like a decision to show a green aspect. I do not care if there are boats on there, plenty of room but that decisions has me scratching my head. Everyone also has the right to make comments after the decisions are made. I gave up making submissions on anything after the green zone debacle. That proved to me that pollies have made decisions prior to asking for submissions.

The only thing I don't agree with regarding the low emission outboard thing is that most small Tinnies run standard 2 strokes... Especially up to about the 30hp mark... I don't know the facts but I'm going to throw it out and say that emissions from a small old tech 2 stroke wouldn't be any worse than a large DI 2 stroke....?? Happy to be proven wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty58 View Post
    This is great news, some of us have been pushing for this for years, I was fortunate enough to be able to submit a submission for this. Regulations are very simple, your motor must be 4 stroke or low emission 2 stroke ie: direct injected. a maximum speed of 6 knots and no PWC allowed, boat ramps are at Logans Inlet, Hamon Cove and later Billies bay which has been leased to the Brisbane Sailing club but they need to fix up the bridges leading to it first. Do be careful as Wivenhoe is a shallow dam with lots of underwater hills etc so when you ufirst go there take your time to navigate your way around. The Rangers are very good there but do remember the regulations will be heavily policed.
    Yep sure is, I know a few of the rangers and SEQ staff from co-joint research activities using authorised power driven vessels throught Wivenhoe Dam right up to beyond Hamon Cove. There use to be a boom net controlling water hyacinth (however it's spelt) from entering the lower reaches. It disappeared last time I was up there, about 30 months ago. The dam has been surveyed many years ago , there is a bathometric chart for the dam but not released to the general public. (its quite a few years old).Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    The only thing I don't agree with regarding the low emission outboard thing is that most small Tinnies run standard 2 strokes... Especially up to about the 30hp mark... I don't know the facts but I'm going to throw it out and say that emissions from a small old tech 2 stroke wouldn't be any worse than a large DI 2 stroke....?? Happy to be proven wrong...
    This is an article that gives information about the emissions of various types of outboard technologies sold in Australia, have a look at the chart on page 2 for the emmission ranges; (quote) "high emission traditional two stroke carburettor engines (104 to 681 g/kw/hr) compared to the low emission engines which, with the exception of one four stroke 2.5 hp outboard, have combined HC+NOx emissions below 30 g/kw/hr".

http://www.environment.gov.au/system...ard-engine.pdf

That chart shows that no 3 star engines tested polluted as much as any carby two stroke irrespective of size so I'd say the answer to your question is no.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |