Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

Re: Wivenhoe Open to Outboard Motors

I launched frim Hamon Cove just after 6am on Boxing day. The friendly ranger was there checking if people had permits and he said he could sell you one if you did not have one.
    We had live shrimp and an assortment of lures and headed upstream.
    Plenty of fish on the sounder but alas they were all forkies.
    If you trolled less than 3kph the forkies were attracted to your lures , Didnt matter if shallow or deep or silent or rattles.
    We also got checked on the water for safety gear and sip and boat permit.
    We were told that people were only catching forkies.
    Barometer was quite low so that may have turned the bass off or we are just a couple of mugs who need to spend more time there.
    Spent about 8 hours in the water and the 6knots was great when we decided to return home.
    May wait till winter before returning but it was good to explore new areas that we were not game to go to with just leccy power the allowing of fuel powered motors will certainly open up new areas.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rayken1938; 28-12-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: photo

I was there the day they opened it for motor boats and caught huge amounts of catfish but no bass or yellabelly

Bass have always been skittish in Lake Wivenhoe , I know of some spots but that's with a research vessel. Whether that particular area is open to general public is something else.

I recon your best chance for Wivenhoe bass is in winter when the forkies shut down.

Wivenhoe has always been a winter fishery. Logan's Inlet is as good a place as any to fish. The flats and the Horse Paddock are the spots when the gig girls are schooling up in the winter time though. I definitely wouldn't rate Wivenhoe Bass as skittish.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by Jabiru658 View Post
    This is an article that gives information about the emissions of various types of outboard technologies sold in Australia, have a look at the chart on page 2 for the emmission ranges; (quote) "high emission traditional two stroke carburettor engines (104 to 681 g/kw/hr) compared to the low emission engines which, with the exception of one four stroke 2.5 hp outboard, have combined HC+NOx emissions below 30 g/kw/hr".

http://www.environment.gov.au/system...ard-engine.pdf

That chart shows that no 3 star engines tested polluted as much as any carby two stroke irrespective of size so I'd say the answer to your question is no.
    I read this report however it lacks credibility as in who is the author that wrote it. Was it a male, female, Dr * *, a group of people, a consulting firm... All it says is a written on behalf of a Department. The report is more like a short thesis , without having an authors name. Without a name the report means nothing. That's my beef.

http://www.environment.gov.au/system...ard-engine.pdf

Try contacting Gary Fooks he had a lot if input into the studies back in 2006-7. He was living in Kenmore at the time.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    Attachment 99017

Wivenhoe's Tilapia population is thriving, hope they eat baby catfish as well! Great fight on light gear even got busted off twice on 6 pound leader. Bait worms and prawns fished in 2m just off the bank.
    Can you give a rough location please? I would love to get stuck into some of them at that size.

If your standing on the boat ramp at Logan's inlet looking out, I got them in the 2nd bay on your left. (1st bay where the ramp is) in close to the bank roughly 2m of water. Heading up Friday with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Richo1 View Post
    If your standing on the boat ramp at Logan's inlet looking out, I got them in the 2nd bay on your left. (1st bay where the ramp is) in close to the bank roughly 2m of water. Heading up Friday with the kids.
    Might see you there. I went yesterday and nearly got blown away! Just as bad, if not worse today. As soon as the wind dies I will give it a try

Phil (in an orange and black camo yak)

Do you eat them BTW? I think they are the best fresh water fish to eat bar none...

Quote Originally Posted by wrip109 View Post
    Might see you there. I went yesterday and nearly got blown away! Just as bad, if not worse today. As soon as the wind dies I will give it a try

Phil (in an orange and black camo yak)

Do you eat them BTW? I think they are the best fresh water fish to eat bar none...
    For your information:
    Schedule 6 of the Fisheries Regulation 2008 (Appendix A) provides a list of all fish classified as noxious in Queensland.
    This section of the legislation means that it is illegal for someone to bring tilapia (and other fish classified as noxious) into Queensland; possess, rear, sell or buy tilapia; or release tilapia into any Queensland waters. The use of the term ‘fisheries resources’ means that these prohibitions relate to tilapia whether they are dead or alive, as well as to pieces of the fish (e.g. a fillet or gut). Both the use of tilapia as bait for fishing and the consumption of tilapia are, therefore, prohibited.
    If a person accidently comes into possession of a noxious fish (e.g. tilapia) or a nonindigenous fish that is not on the list outlined in Part 2 of Schedule 6 of the Fisheries Regulation 2008 (Appendix A), they must immediately kill the fish as humanely as possible and dispose of it without releasing it into the water. Possession would include accidently catching the fish while line fishing, as well as fish found in farm dams or council waters running through private property. If a population of noxious or illegal nonindigenous fish is found established in a body of water that is privately owned, the owner must carry out all practical ways to control the population and prevent it from spreading into other waterways. This may include eradication if at all possible.

Scenario: On a fine Sunday afternoon, Rod and his neighbour Finn decided to try out a new fishing spot just north of Brisbane. After almost two hours, the duo still hadn’t managed to catch a fish and were about to give up when Rod’s rod started to bend. The excited angler jumped to his feet and managed to bring in the flapping silvery fish. ‘That’s a good sized bass!’ exclaimed Rod. But, recognising the truncate tail and long, continuous dorsal fin, Finn knew the creature was no Australian bass. After pointing out to Rod that his catch was actually a tilapia, the men had to then decide what to do with the noxious fish.
    Rod was aware that they couldn’t keep the pest fish for dinner and thought it would be best to just throw it back into the water, since it was now dead and couldn’t possibly do any further harm. Finn suggested that they throw the fish into a rubbish bin. However, since there were no bins nearby, the men would have to take the dead fish with them in their car until they found one.
    Questions: Discuss what Rod and Finn should do with the dead fish. Should they throw it back into the water or take it with them until they spot a rubbish bin? Give reasons for and against these options. Are these the only two options for Rod and Finn? Why can’t the men take the fish home for dinner? Other than getting rid of the fish, what is another action Rod and Finn should take?
    Answer
    Rod and Finn should not throw the dead tilapia back into the water as, being a mouth-brooder, it may have juveniles inside its mouth that are still alive—heavy fines apply for releasing noxious fish into Queensland waterways. If Rod and Finn choose to throw the fish into a rubbish bin, they should wrap it in a plastic bag for immediate transport to an appropriate bin. Alternatively, Rod and Finn could bury the fish well away from the water’s edge. It is illegal in Queensland for the men to take the fish home for consumption and heavy fines apply. Using tilapia for human consumption may lead to the noxious fish having a trade value and people purposely stocking them. Rod and Finn should also take clear photographs of the fish (if possible) and report the fish to the DEEDI Customer Service

Taken from: http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/__data/as...d-Module-3.pdf
    Dale

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok...can someone please tell me what is the difference between Somerset and Wivanhoe Dams? I mean this with regard to the running of 2 strokes...why is it allowed on one but not the other...

Do the higher emissions pollute the water or the air? Seems to me that this decision was not based on a level playing field. Most boats That would be most suitable, I assume, would be tinnies with small 2/stroke outboards and they are the ones banned....surely the 20 footers with 150 4/strokes won't be idling around at 6 knots....I know a few that might I suppose.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

My 18 1/2 footer with a 150 idles much slower than 6 knots. In reality if you are travelling in Wivenhoe at 6 knots, you may as well slow down to 2.5 knots and troll a lure.
    I would guess that a line had to be drawn somewhere. Drawing that line at 3 star outboards was a lot better than the original proposition and that was having the rules the same as Lenthall's Dam, which are:
    Visitors should be aware of the low emission outboard engine policy for Lake Lenthall which allows only 2 and 3 star rated engines up to 60hp. Low emission engines include:

• All 4-stroke engines up to 60 horsepower
    • Low emission direct injection 2-stroke engines up to 60 horsepower

The speed limit on the lake is strictly 6 knots.
    Dale

I recon we got a really good result of the review with Wivy when you consider what could have happened with some of the submissions made and hope that people realise that and do not abuse the system or else it could go back to what it was or even a complete shut out, which would save SEQ water a heap of money.There are plenty of other waters that you can take your 2 banger or jet ski to.
    cheers
    ray

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    I recon we got a really good result of the review with Wivy when you consider what could have happened with some of the submissions made and hope that people realise that and do not abuse the system or else it could go back to what it was or even a complete shut out, which would save SEQ water a heap of money.There are plenty of other waters that you can take your 2 banger or jet ski to.
    cheers
    ray

Ray, I believe that rules should be made to suit the majority of people not a minority...thus my assumption that a lot more people could use the dam if 2 strokes on tinnies were allowed, surely there are way more of them that would frequent the dam than the bigger 4 strokes etc. No one has answered my question about the emission problems ande the reason for banning 2strokes ...does it effect the water?

Dale...no worries with the speed limit and its 6 knots, about 10 Km/h... so quite quick. Still reckon if any mechanical outboards are allowed, it should be all of them.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.