Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: net buy back. Dec 2013.

Re: net buy back. Dec 2013.

2 separate issues here as I see it.

1. Latent vs used symbols and licences. I am aware that FQ are claiming the buy back in this round was for symbols that accounted for about 250 tonnes of landed catch. Ball park about 5% of total ECIFF take?
    So yes, assuming this is correct, they can "claim" that they are taking out active symbols and effort.

2. There has been NO guarantees let alone promises, statements, suggestions or even inferences from anyone in power [despite repeated questions and pleadings and previous experience and failures] that any commercial fisher bought out will be prevented from re-entering the fishery by buying another unused [latent] symbol. (Don't you love the way the spin doctors talk about authorities implying licences.... when really it is symbols)

I am unaware how many actual licences this last round accounts for but from previous buy backs there were a total of 35 licences only. Most fishers have more than one symbol on their licence so this suggests those that did not sell their licence intend to continue fishing using other symbols including netting symbols. = Simple displaced effort. Those that sold their K8 symbol will spend more time working their N11 and N1 nets.

Also, considering the number of still current latent licences and symbols it appears that a significant number of these buy-backs have been a costly exercise in overfunding a number of older commercial fishers who wanted to retire anyway. They could not have got the same money for the licences or symbols on the open market.
    There are still plenty of licences and symbols available for anyone to come and fish in the same places these retirees did.

Unless of course those bought out buy another licence or symbol and continue to fish until they get bought out again. Much like the great gun buy-back actually. Those in the "know" bought a lot of useless non-working old rifles for next to nothing and sold them to the government for a fortune.

And all this is for the benefit of recreational fishing. The great farce continues.

Re: net buy back. Dec 2013.

Just so much more "Politikal Speak". I am a good salesman and I can see and hear salesman talk here. What I would like to see is what money rec fishers bring to Qld or even moreton bay against what pro's bring to the area. I am sure that we do more for the economy than the pro fishers. Just listing the services and products needed boggles the mind; boat sales, motor sales, ancillary sales both online and in yard, service technicians - motor, boat, and electronics, rego insurances oils and fuels and then the gold mine......fishing tackle. Qlders supporting Qlders. I also will be sending a letter in as well. Thanks for including the address.