Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: net buy back. Dec 2013.

net buy back. Dec 2013.

Newman Government’s scheme buys back more net authorities

Queensland’s fishing industry is becoming more sustainable, with $1.39 million in commercial netting authorities being surrendered in the latest round of the Newman Government’s East Coast Inshore Net Fishery buyback scheme.

Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry John McVeigh said the Queensland Rural Adjustment Authority had assessed the submissions and he had accepted all eligible proposals.

“There were 34 fishing authorities offered by commercial fishers, surrendering their access to net fishing across a range of species and areas,” Mr McVeigh said.
    “Labor ignored the needs of our Queensland seafood industry for years and many fishers faced an uncertain future. The previous government was hell bent on shutting it down for cheap green preferences.

“In contrast, the Newman Government is working with our commercial fishers to create a thriving but sustainable future.

“The buyback scheme we promised at the election is delivering on that commitment and revitalising frontline services.

“All stakeholders of the Queensland fishing industry including commercial and recreational fishers, tourism and environmental groups asked us to improve the economic viability of the East Coast Inshore Fin Fish Fishery.

“Through the implementation of the buyback we are acting to safeguard Queensland’s marine resources by ensuring we have an environmentally and economically sustainable fishing industry.”

Mr McVeigh said that similar to a car license, the categories or symbols determine where and what can be fished.

“The symbols offered up include a total of:

• 8 N2 symbols allowing the take of barramundi
    • 8 N10 symbols for tunnel netting in Hervey Bay or Moreton Bay
    • 4 K symbols allowing ocean beach fishing on the Sunshine Coast and Fraser Island
    • 14 N1 symbols for general gill netting.

“This latest round brings the total number of symbols bought back through the scheme to 147 and our investment close to $3.6 million since the scheme started a year ago.

“In the latest round we expanded the eligibility criteria to allow more commercial fishers to take advantage of the offer. The Net Buyback Stakeholder Working Group will now meet again in 2014 to develop recommendations for the next stage of the buyback process.

“My priority is to ensure the scheme funding is spent in the best possible way to balance the interests of all parties.”

For more information on the net buyback, visit www.fisheries.qld.gov.au or call 13 25 23.
    [ENDS] 13 December 2013
    Media Contact: Louise Gillis 0408 709 160
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Exclamation Re: net buy back. Dec 2013.

So is the total quota/tonnage of each allowable species being lowered at the same time? Or does it just mean the netters left over just get to catch more fish and make more money? A bigger piece of the fish pie as it will..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: net buy back. Dec 2013.

I just hope that this is money well spent in buying back active licenses to actually remove fishing pressure from these areas and not just an expensive vote buying exercise that lines the pockets of those sitting on dormant licenses with no actual benefit to the fisheries.

I think some transparency is required here.

show the quota for each authority and how much of that quota was used in previous years.

how many authorities each commercial fisher has

a break up of the areas and species

I am still sceptical of these buy backs , being a result of simialr ones undertaken a few years ago in Moreton bay where a big percentage of licences were bought back , but bugger all " effort " reduced.

I will ask FQ to answer our questions.

cheers

Totally agree with your comments LP. last time commercial license holders sold some dormant licences and just kept fishing. No change to the fish take, just money in there bank accounts.

sent using TapTalk
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Pretty certain that it's the same again, latent (not currently used) again so no real removal of fishing effort.

Ive got a latent Environet they can buy off me if they can't find enough takers.....
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Pretty certain that it's the same again, latent (not currently used) again so no real removal of fishing effort.
    You are spot on Luc.
    The pie is the same size, just being shared by fewer pros, and therefore a better chance of them making a decent living. Rec angling bodies were initially involved in the development stages of the buy back but they were removed from the process by Minister McVeigh (on the advice of the pros) when they pushed for a reduction in the overall quota. Hasn't stopped the usual suspects on Ausfish trying to make out the buyback is for the benefit of Queensland's rec anglers, like including the monies allocated for the buyback in the Government's rec fishing initiatives.
    ~~~><))))*>

IMO, any license that hasn't been in use should simply be cancelled.

The problem is that fishing licenses are treated like shares where they can be bought & sold by "investors" so like shares, they have a value even if they're not being used.

The value of a license should be based on it's earning value as indicated on the owner's tax assessments for the past 5 years.

Certainly not a win for recs or commercial fishos. Just cleaning out unused or underused licences. Unless it is coupled with a reduction of effort in a particualr area or fishery, then it is a waste of our money. If a working licence is removed, there is nothing stopping effort creeping in from outside the area or a non active licence being used to pick up where they left off and therefore nothing is gained.

As a matter of interest, only a couple of fisheries actually have a quota system in place.

They never learn and I have seen this occur time after time. I have made representation (including solutions) several times at both political and department level but ear muffs were firmly on.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

FQ have declined to comment on the questions raised here.

That must mean they want me / us to put those questions directly to Minister McVeigh.

https://www.facebook.com/johnmcveighmp

Ministerial Office Address

Level 8, Primary Industries Building
    80 Ann Street
    BRISBANE QLD 4000

Phone: 07 3239 3000
    Fax: 07 3211 8199
    Email: daff@ministerial.qld.gov.au

Ministerial Postal Address

GPO Box 46
    BRISBANE QLD 4001

my letter will find it's way into his " in box " within a day or so.

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    You are spot on Luc.
    The pie is the same size, just being shared by fewer pros, and therefore a better chance of them making a decent living. Rec angling bodies were initially involved in the development stages of the buy back but they were removed from the process by Minister McVeigh (on the advice of the pros) when they pushed for a reduction in the overall quota. Hasn't stopped the usual suspects on Ausfish trying to make out the buyback is for the benefit of Queensland's rec anglers, i like including the monies allocated for the buybackn the Government's rec fishing initiatives.
    How the hell can the money for the supposed buyback be appropriated from the rec fishing initiatives ? What I mean is , when it looks like there is to be no reduction in quota .

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    FQ have declined to comment on the questions raised here.

That must mean they want me / us to put those questions directly to Minister McVeigh.

https://www.facebook.com/johnmcveighmp

Ministerial Office Address

Level 8, Primary Industries Building
    80 Ann Street
    BRISBANE QLD 4000

Phone: 07 3239 3000
    Fax: 07 3211 8199
    Email: daff@ministerial.qld.gov.au

Ministerial Postal Address

GPO Box 46
    BRISBANE QLD 4001

my letter will find it's way into his " in box " within a day or so.

LP
    If FQ are going to trumpet what they are doing for rec fisho's , at least they should have the authority to answer reasonable and polite questions .
    Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn 66; 17-12-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Stuffed Up

My letter went today.

Response expected................ ?

LP

You are spot on Luc.
    The pie is the same size, just being shared by fewer pros, and therefore a better chance of them making a decent living. Rec angling bodies were initially involved in the development stages of the buy back but they were removed from the process by Minister McVeigh (on the advice of the pros) when they pushed for a reduction in the overall quota. Hasn't stopped the usual suspects on Ausfish trying to make out the buyback is for the benefit of Queensland's rec anglers, like including the monies allocated for the buyback in the Government's rec fishing initiatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    How the hell can the money for the supposed buyback be appropriated from the rec fishing initiatives ? What I mean is , when it looks like there is to be no reduction in quota .
    Yes I agree Shawn, the total $ for the Qld net buy back is 9 million (of taxpayers money). I wouldn't say that money has been appropriated from rec fishing initiatives because it was never really there. What I referred to was instances in the past on Ausfish where both MP Mark and one of his biggest supporters have included that figure of $9 million when bragging about how much the Newman Gov is spending on Qld rec anglers.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Yes I agree Shawn, the total $ for the Qld net buy back is 9 million (of taxpayers money). I wouldn't say that money has been appropriated from rec fishing initiatives because it was never really there. What I referred to was instances in the past on Ausfish where both MP Mark and one of his biggest supporters have included that figure of $9 million when bragging about how much the Newman Gov is spending on Qld rec anglers.
    Cheers
    You mean seldom?.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent