Thread: Snare crab pot

Snare crab pot

I heard a while back of a method of catching crabs that works.
    Use a big tangle of fishing line, with a big sinker and a bait embedded in the tangle and a rope attached.
    Just wondering if it's legal? before I make one, as I have a few spare tangles......

randell
    Bundy

Re: Snare crab pot

Not sure about legal but a couple of my TI mates always have one rod set up with a tangle wrapped around a pilly or a slashed poddy mullet every where they go
    they get sandies and muddies very regularly
    it is interesting because they find spots that most people drive past and would never consider crabbing there
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

my dad used to catch a lot of muddies hooking on a piece of mullet wrapped in a bit of stocking. Amazing how well the stocking would hook around the spines on their claws
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Going to give it a go, less bulky than big pots as well.
    randell

One downside with the tangle method would be it getting snagged easily??
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

used to use a stocking for fresh water lobster in Tassie, hmm have your 4 legal pots while using tangled line/ stocking to find other crabbing spots...is that legal?

Hey don't know about legal BUT at least you will get them in the boat & not stollen by some SOB

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't see how it could not be legal. It is a method of fishing...just attach a hook somewhere, who is to say that you are trying to get crabs, not a fish. The same applies with a stocking I reckon, certainly not a pot or trap.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntahunta View Post
    I can't see how it could not be legal. It is a method of fishing...just attach a hook somewhere, who is to say that you are trying to get crabs, not a fish. The same applies with a stocking I reckon, certainly not a pot or trap.
    And I suppose when you reel in the stocking for the Inspector to inspect it, you are going to tell him your teaching your mother inlaw to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    And I suppose when you reel in the stocking for the Inspector to inspect it, you are going to tell him your teaching your mother inlaw to swim.
    Naww, she can learn to swim with the anchor, less chance of scaring the fish from the bait.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Just tell them our weathering the stocking.