Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would I make it to Mud (and back)?

Re: Would I make it to Mud (and back)?

The bay can turn nasty quickly. I have been caught out fishing the sheltered side of the island unaware how bad it was out in the open. Learn the beacons heading back the inside of st Helena and green and the river mouth so you have a plan b for getting home.

Worst I've experienced in the Tinny was between Peel Is and Cleveland point.

Out going tide and a with a 15 knot NW blowing. Had my 2 little ones in the boat with me who were curled up around my feet on the floor. Boat was new and not set up well - too much weight aft. Got home wet but unscathed however it took a lot of lollipops and coaching to get them in the tinny again.

In hind sight should have stayed on the beach at peel until the tide changed at least.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386975323.954372.jpgk

Quote Originally Posted by fishychrissy View Post
    I always check the Weatherzone radar on my phone if I think storms are forecast, but last night it only showed light green and about 10 minutes later the biggest horizontal bolts of lightning shot across the Bay from the Airport to Moreton Island, and hit 2 channel markers in the same instance.
    It was lines in and WOT all the way back to Spinnaker Ramp after that!
    Was in a similar situation to yours Mate in the Pittwater fishing from me mate's trailer sailer. Storm suddenly appeared rolling down the hills from the National Park, we had to just sit it out but bloody scary, sure gives you a wake up call. All the rigging and rail wires were buzzing from the static in the air, least favourite fishing session ever. Remember at the time I thought it would be my last.
    Cheers
    Yeah, I finally got up the courage to get back out there on Friday. And am now checking the radar etc religiously! Then my son calls me at about 2.30pm to say there's a severe storm warning. Checked my phone and there it is. I hadn't checked the radar for a couple of hours. Despite the storm being a fizzer, you better believe I left Harry's damn smart!

I was out at Harry's again yesterday morning, and had my second wake up call. Anytime I'm on the boat at night, or in a bit of wind, I wear an auto-inflatable PFD. I took it off yesterday morning a little after sunrise and had it sitting on the casting deck. I noticed that the sensor unit was showing major fault! Had a close inspection, and found that the gas bottle was loose, and activator tripped. I tightened it up, and it rapidly inflated the jacket. Best I can tell/gather is the storm I got smashed by was enough to trigger the auto firing pin mechanism, but the gas bottle was loose and thus not punctured. The jacket wouldn't have done my for me if I went over the side!
    So, yeah, check your auto-inflatable jackets before each trip!

Cheers

Speaking of Mud, I just remembered a funny/worrying incident.
    I was fishing with my son on the reef off the north east of Green. We watch this tiny boat (turned out it was a 3.7m) with a 15hp motor and two VERY large gentlemen of Islander appearance (Only mention Islander to give an indication of size), and very little freeboard approach us very slowly from the south of Green. The breeze had made it a little sloppy, so their boat trip was even longer. Anyway, they eventually pull alongside us, and with huge grins, ask us did we know where Mud Island was???
    I point out Green, St Helena, and Mud. We then watch in disbelief, for the next hour, as they very slowly disappear out of sight towards Mud!

Mate if the wind gets up start the donk and head home. I have a 4.1 with a 25hp and had some hairy/wet rides coming back into the river.

Keep an eye on the reports and pick your days. Better be safe than sorry.

15hp and 3.7m is fine. Watch the weather and if you get stuck when the wind gets up then take it slow. Small boats are fine in the bay, just have a plan if things go bad, and dont venture to far out. You can always take a direct line to the shore and wait it out.If things look bad, pull up on mud island and call someone, dont head home if you are unsure.

Just remember, the wind funnels through between mud and st helena, and combined with the tide it can get really nasty. For some reason, the southern end is always worst, between amity banks and mud - especially in a south easter. If shit goes bad, hug the island and sneak back on the brisbane river side.

I have a 3.8m savage snipe with a 25 on the back, we have a had a few hair raising moments heading back from mud to the mouth, typical story like glass heading out then sure enough a wind change and picks up to 20knots sure makes for a slow and bumpy ride home (willy said 5-10kn)is there a better site then willy? it takes me about 30 mins from the pinkenba boat ramp

I have a 3.8m savage snipe with a 25 on the back, we have a had a few hair raising moments heading back from mud to the mouth, typical story like glass heading out then sure enough a wind change and picks up to 20knots sure makes for a slow and bumpy ride home (willy said 5-10kn)is there a better site then willy? it takes me about 30 mins from the pinkenba boat ramp

Winter only. That area will be very unforgiving if it blows up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk