Thread: 94' Holden Rodeo(4JB1-T) heavy towing

94' Holden Rodeo(4JB1-T) heavy towing

Heya,

I currently own a Holden Rodeo 94' Single cab ute with a 4JB1-T engine. I quite often tow my 2tonne boat behind her, at least twice a month. I plan on towing 500K round trips with it in the new year(1770)

She tows the boat fine, power wise. When it comes to grunt however, it feels like it is not there. When heading from Logan to the Goldcoast with the boat, I can only get up to around 90kph and any slight hill slows the truck down noticeablely. Any steep hills and I'm stuck in 2nd gear from a standing start. I would of thought the truck would perform better then this in regards to highway speeds and slight hills. So this is what I'm trying to solve. I'm first just doing some research into what my options are, and to generally find out if I'm beating a dead horse.

I'm not a mechanical person, but trying to learn. Recently the thermostat died and the head gasket stuffed up. I fixed all this, but while everything was off I got the injectors overhauled, new glow plugs, belts and hoses. I spoke to Midas today for advice and this is what they suggested.

- cold air intake(snorkel)
    - topmount intercooler (bighorn one)

- 2.5 inch turbo down pipe and exhaust
    - dyno tune

I also plan on installing an oil can catcher on the weekend as the turbo had a litle bit of oil in the turbine area.

I'm just chasing advice on if I'm going in the right direction, if I'm looking over anything or if I'll be wasting my time even trying?

Re: 94' Holden Rodeo(4JB1-T) heavy towing

I thought the Max towing capacity for this vehicle is 1800kg. I would be very carefull towing such a large boat behind a very light single cab ute.

Mine(97 2.8d single cab) struggles up any incline and i'm only towing about 900kg.

Will be interested to see what sort of extra power you get out of it.

She's rated to 2500 braked. The vehicle weighs over 2tonne itself. The plate inside the engine bay says 2.7GVM, but I don't believe that.

Is that the towbar that is rated at 2.5t or the actual vehicle.

check this out. Unless something is different on your vehicle. http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resea...&Ridx=2&eapi=2

Kerb weight 1515kg
    GVM 2740kg
    Pay load 1000kg
    Towing Braked 1800kg

Quote Originally Posted by mcchaddy View Post
    Is that the towbar that is rated at 2.5t or the actual vehicle.

check this out. Unless something is different on your vehicle. http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/resea...&Ridx=2&eapi=2

Kerb weight 1515kg
    GVM 2740kg
    Pay load 1000kg
    Towing Braked 1800kg
    I just checked, and you're right. I got the figures from the carsales ad when I first purchased the vehicle.