Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can share your knowledge regarding the best cooking equipment to take nomadic camping. We're on the road for four weeks going to the Blue Mountains, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and also doing The Great Ocean Road. We'll be making regular stops at caravan parks, national parks or anywhere you can pitch a tent.

At times, all gear will be packed in the car for up to 24 hours at a time. We have all the regular cooking equipment, e.g. 3 burner stove, gas bottle etc..., but concered about leaving the gas bottle locked up in the car for up to 24 hours at a time. What would your suggestions be?

Thanks in advance
    Darren and Lisa
    Good things come to those who bait

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

i have a gas bottle bracket on my rear bumper (Landcruiser)like a caraven with a padlock.Hilly

External storage for the gas bottle is logical and safe......iot is not just whilst you are in the car with a gas bottle that it is dangerous......a leak whilst you are out and about and come back and use the remote to unlock can have you in hospital quickly.

http://www.ridelust.com/local-fj-cruiser-goes-boom/
    Jack.

Thanks for the feedback guys, we're thinking this might be a little heavy and dangerous. So we're throwing up the option of those butane stoves that you can get from camping & fishing stores?

We don't need any lighting from a gas lantern as we have led lights so it will only be used for cooking a meal & a hot drink.

Thanks
    Darren & Lisa

Those single burner stoves is all I use for camping. I carry a spare one in case I need to have two burners operating but that's not often.

Spare cartridges are easy to buy especially if you get specials.

Luc

Darren
    I reckon a little1 kg lpg bottle would be fine just keep it upright and the cap on , if your worried about it getting hot just wrap a wet towel around it . Sounds like a good road trip .
    Dave
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_S View Post
    Darren
    I reckon a little1 kg lpg bottle would be fine just keep it upright and the cap on , if your worried about it getting hot just wrap a wet towel around it . Sounds like a good road trip .
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, it been a while in the planning. We've even start counting down

Thanks
    Darren

for when you can have a fire I like the portable fire pits. Small compact and you can camp away from tables and crappy muddy fireplaces/ bbq when allowed of course. No one even knows you have been there or had a fire. Rest of the time we use liquid fuel one - http://www.budgetcamping.com.au/shop...sp?prodID=1227

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLAT-PACK...item2a34feb836

http://www.polarisinnovations.com/firepit.htm

http://www.drifta.com.au/setSnowPeak.php

I have a 'U-Bute' two burner butane stove - can be used for two frypans and also has a BBQ plate that goes on top. Brilliant! Got it for $48 on COTD.

I've heard rumours of the butane can going up in flames anyone had this happen to them? And what the difference between a $50 one or a $15 job?

For example, the cheaper model has a powder coat while the more expensive has stainless, but both still have same the burner?

Thanks
    Darren

Yeah Darren my Mrs had one explode on her a few years back. Had the plastic case as wind protection at the rear sitting on its end ( like an open book type of thing) It blew the case into very small pieces and knocked the Mrs on her arse. She had to be taken to hospital but ended up OK. Just a bit of shock and ringing in the ears. It was the can that let go and luckily blew out the back end of it not the front. She swore off them for many years but the lure of simplicity has one in our shed once again. We throw them out after about 12 months and buy a new one. I personally think that with the amount of them out there and the very few stories you hear of failure they must be pretty safe. We used a dual fuel triple burner similar one to cormarants link and a dual fuel light when we travelled around oz and it was fantastic.

Ours has traveled and survived when other campers stuff has packed it in. One of ours would be over 20 years and still safe as the day it was made as it is so low pressure and burns so hot and clean on good fuel. I think we bought a spare plunger rubber for the pump years ago just in case but not sure we ever installed it. Fuel in 1l alloy or plastic container it comes in is very safe with a bit of common sense.

We never bought the suitcase twin burner one as we have 2 independent ones of different sizes but are not as stable as the twin burner nor have the wind protection.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coleman-D...-/251269419274

We have butane one and the thing I notice is that with a small pot it is ok and chassis stays cool but bigger pans and the whole unit becomes seriously hot and some of that heat ends up at the cannister and after you have used a few cannisters you will realise some are thicker ( probably stronger than other brands) . Some stoves have a better heat reflector and you must use them on a surface that allows ventilation of the case holes. I won't use them like others do with griddle on and full heat. Millions sold and lots of accidents some would be manufacturing faults but lots would be user faults as well. i don't know how to pick a quality one over a cheap nasty as they all look so similar . Gas is always nasty when it goes wrong.

When I did some traveling a few years back I used a Cobb cooker a lot.
    Loved it.

Hi
    What about those one burner stoves and the cylinders instead of the stove and bottle. You can actually get double burners now. Reckon i would rather have those canisters in my car than a large bottle.

Mrs H

Ive got a "ubute" (actually 2 - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1368671) thats used regularly (instead of using public electric BBQ's that people have done who knows what to) and I also have a few of the cheap single burner versions that always get used a lot with no issues. One is nearly always in the car with a spare gas can for a quick cook up wherever you want and also a stainless bucket with a 12v shower for quick hot water or hot shower if needed.

yes the ubutes are bigger but when you factor in you can take off the plate and cook and boil at the same time and have spare cans and tongs n flipper ( i also have tea towel and a camping roll of cutlery in the case) all together when you would really need two of the single version ones in seperate cases and then have all the other stuff then the size of it may not be an issue.
    Last edited by Triple; 11-12-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.