Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

Re: Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

If you want a cheap, small simple cooker then - http://vimeo.com/m/64726512
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

it all comes down to room, I have a ubute but they take up more room than a single burner, but as I have a twin cab hi-lux with a roofrack when camping, I mainly use a family weber q, {gas bottle on the roofrack} that I took the legs etc off and screwed onto a 4ply base ...so when we go to straddie camping down main beach we have roast lamb, roast chook as well as steak and a very hearty breaky to line the guts for the alcohol we also consume

Thumbs up Re: Cooking equipment for nomadic camping?

Mates new 'baby' , needs firewood , but basically enclosed for safety and regs in a lot of areas.
    Easily folds to nothing and seems well built and practical....

bbq.JPG

What about the good old metho stove.

Small but they only cost about 20 dollars.

Louis

We've got a few stoves for camping from pretty cheap to fairly expensive but the one that gets used the most often is one of the cheapest and that's the twin burner U-Bute stove that uses the cans of gas, mainly because it all fits into a light weight plastic carry case, has a 10 second setup time and the plastic case is durable enough just to be thrown into the back of the ute.

http://www.u-bute.com.au
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

For the trip we brought those $15 jobbies, what a time saver. After hiking all day the only thing you want is some hot food and bed, ready for the next 15 km walk the next day.

I did notice when we were at Thredbo the early morning billy boil the can was freezing, so every couple of minutes I had to take the can out and give it a shake. I noticed when the billy took half an hour to boil. The BBQ was on high but only a tiny little flame.

Cheers Darren
    Good things come to those who bait

Only a matter of three or four weeks ago I read a report on safety of camping cooking appliances and gas bottle safety.....I can not remember where it was.
    It stated that the majority of the badly hurt people in the last few years was from the canister type cookers. Typical with the designs, the radiant heat from the hot plate adjacent heated the cylinders and the seals.....some ruptured the canisters, some had the seals blow out and empty the cartridge inside the cooker......

I think I would rather use a Primus cooker that screws directly to the top of a squat cylinder than anything else, they burn hotly, you have a good choice of pans pots and kettles to use. A well proven design for many decades.
    Jack.

Hello A & L,

Have you considered a Trangia metho stove?
    http://www.trangia.se/english
    Mine is 25 years old and still going strong.

For;
    Safe, metho does not explode
    Reliable, no moving parts, no pressure vessels
    Simple to use
    Light weight and compact.
    Know exactly how much fuel is left.

Against;
    $$$$ to ,buy
    Metho is getting scarce and expensive (nanny-state!)
    Leaves soot on pots
    Cooler flame = longer cooking times.

Those little butane stoves are ticking time-bombs in my view and I have a personal friend who had one catch fire in the back of the station wagon whilst travelling, the back seat passenger had the presence of mind to ditch the lot out the window and saved the day.

Hi Darren and Lisa

I saw one of these in operation at a recent boat show here on the Gold Coast and was impressed, not impressed enough to buy one but I'm not heading off on a trip like yours.

What do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VwKDh1WOVKw

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................