Thread: 3 way fridge repairs sunshine coast

3 way fridge repairs sunshine coast

my mate is having trouble with his 3 way. gas is not getting cold, pilot light is working,
    any contacts for good guys on coast would be awesome, its a chestcold? I think. this fella has done a lot for me I d like to help him out
    regards andy

Re: 3 way fridge repairs sunshine coast

Has he turned it upside down for awhile?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Has he turned it upside down for awhile?

How long is a while? I've left mine overnight but still wouldn't work.

??? Some say 20 mins is enough but a few hours sorted mine. If overnight didn't fix it then it ain't gas locked.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I have had a bit of experience with gas fridges. If you roll the fridge and you can hear the gas in the pipes gurgle then at least you have not lost the gas. The next most likely problem is the gas jet and the aerator next to the jet. The best thing to do is buy a new jet or clean the existing jet with nitric acid. You will often think the flame looks ok but it is no where strong enough because the jet is blocked. The aerator or pipe to the jet may also have fluff in it. It is nearly always the jet or aerator is blocked. If you have replaced the jet or fixed as above and you still have problems then rolling it may dislodge a bit of rust inside the pipe away from the expansion valve or hole. A bit of light tapping on the pipes will often help. Make sure there is no fluff in the fins at he top of the pipes as heat has to be released here and fluff will stop it from being released and your fridge will not get as cold as it should. It is a combination of a few things that makes a gas fridge run well.

I have a chescold fridge and from memory the jet is a bit of a mongrel to get to. If you are doing repairs yourself and need help give me a call on 0428599719. I have fixed many different fridges on Moreton in the old days before solar became the way to go.
    There is a place called CR refidgeration (caravan refridgeration) at Lawnton and they can clean your jet with Nitric acid or sell you a new one. Cleaning is much cheaper. Make sure you have gas in the pipes first and if you have not then they are not worth fixing as all the pipes have to be replaced.

Got a chescold 3 way I bought in 1985. The 12 and 240 are rusted and shot but the gas part still works a treat. Bonus is on the money with his comments.

craig

an absorpton fridge works with ammonia as the refrigerant. The ammonia is absorbed by water. The ammonia is boiled off from the water by means of a 12V or 240V or gas powered flame to start the refrigeration cycle. If the flame is not getting the cycle started then the first thing is to check the flue. Quite often these are full of soot (carbon) and do not let the correct amount of heated air out of the flue. That is the first thing to check.

Yes and the carbon in the flue is always caused by a partially blocked jet or aerator which makes the flame burn yellow or dirty producing soot. Most gas fridges have a bottle type brush hidden in the pipes at the back for the purpose of cleaning the flue. The flame should be a blue colour and could even have a slight roar to it. Some aerators are adjustable but most are not. The chestcold from memory is preset and cannot be adjusted. The chestcold is made by Electrolux and from memory the burner is a longer type with holes in the top. Be careful when undoing the aerator as some are fragile and you can twist and break them.

thank you guys will pass all the info merry and safe Christmas to all