Thread: You Guys Are Braver Than Most! Or Is There Another Word For It?

You Guys Are Braver Than Most! Or Is There Another Word For It?

Man fishing in kayak off Maui dies after shark bites his foot

Published December 02, 2013Associated Press

• FILE: Oct. 22, 2010: A sign warning surfers of a recent shark attack is posted at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. (AP)

HONOLULU – A kayak fisherman died Monday off Maui after a shark bit his dangling foot, officials said.
    Maui County Ocean Safety officials received a report that a shark attacked a man fishing in a kayak between Maui and Molokini, a small island less than 3 miles off the southwest coast of Maui that's popular for diving and snorkeling.
    The victim was fishing with artificial lures to attract baitfish, a news release from the state Department of Land and Natural Resources said.
    His fishing partner tied a tourniquet on the man and sought help from a nearby charter tour boat. The boat took them to shore, and the man was then taken to a hospital, the state said. It's unclear when he was pronounced dead.
    The man's identity and the kind of shark involved were not immediately available.
    Though the attack happened far from shore, the state advised the public to stay out of the water a mile north and a mile south of Makena State Recreation Area in southwest Maui.
    There have been eight shark attacks near Maui this year and 13 statewide. On Friday, a woman suffered nonfatal injuries in a Maui attack.
    "We are not sure why these bites are occurring more frequently than normal, especially around Maui," said department Chairman William Aila Jr. "That's why we are conducting a two-year study of shark behavior around Maui that may give us better insights."
    Over the last 20 years, Hawaii has averaged about four unprovoked shark incidents per year, the state said.
    In August, a German tourist died a week after losing her arm in a shark attack. Jana Lutteropp, 20, was snorkeling up to 100 yards off a beach in southwest Maui when the shark bit off her right arm.
    Before Lutteropp's death, the last shark attack fatality in Hawaii was in 2004, when a tiger shark bit Willis McInnis' leg while he was surfing in Maui.
    Isaac Brumaghim knows firsthand the dangers of kayak fishing, which he said is growing in popularity. He was fishing off Oahu's west coast in April when a camera mounted on his kayak captured footage of a 9-foot shark jumping up and chomping on the tuna he was reeling in.
    Sharks are "an absolute danger, every single day," he said. "You have to respect the fact they can bite you at any time."
    He said bait in the water can easily attract the animal.
    "Just a little bit of blood, a little meat in the water, that's all you need," he said. "It's like dogs out there."
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: You Guys Are Braver Than Most! Or Is There Another Word For It?

I crap myself in the river when paddling on dusk back to the ramp and something is nudging the back of the canoe - has happened a few times so I leave a bit earlier than dusk now.

I have scuba dived offshore Terrigal when the pillies are moving through with the tuna and it is freaking scarey the number of sharks that follow that lot and one i saw that circled me whilst on a decompression dive at depth 20m for 20min was like a semi-trailer - it's eye was bigger than a dinner plate and it was over 2m dia - will never forget that sight.
    Cheers

Trev

Jeez Trev... you've got a 2 metre diam tube of muscle and teeth looking at you and circling..,,

Why is it do you think, that they don't just come and have you? If its circling, its either curious or hungry, and I can't imagine why it would be cautious... but it's often the case on the Tv docos that they circle but don't attack.

Weird. It would turn your gizzards to jelly watching it circle.

mate if that happened to me, the water would have turned so brown and smelly that the shark could not see 2 foot in front of him