Thread: Portable live bait tank

Portable live bait tank

Hi all,

I dont want to glass in a bait tank. How effective are portable kits for an esky, especially I used my deck wash to re-charge the water occasionally? How often would the water need changing typically - ie bunk out while fresh salt water into the top?

Many thanks
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Portable live bait tank

It will entirely depend on what livies you want to hold mate.. and how many.. slimies wont fair, yakkas will and mullet will live in a muddy puddle(almost)

Thanks mate. I know bugger all about live baiting but have always wanted to try it around the 4 beacons at Moreton. ..what would I be jigging up there? Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Im not really sure, im on the goldy.. heaps of others on here will know though mate.

Cheers mate

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

ozscott

I have just finished a portable tank for my Coastal Cat, used it for the first time last week and it worked like a beauty. I bought a home brew drum and I tie it to the transom with some rope. Went out to the banks and back no worries.

I have rigged up 2 inflows.Port side has a normal stainless pickup that runs straight to the drum. In the line is a one way valve and an on/off ball cock tap. This line is a set and forget and works while ever the boat is moving. On the starboard side I have a large Johnson deck wash pump and this has been rigged to the drum also and I turn it on when ever we stop to fish. Inlets are 6" off the bottom with 90* bends to create flow. Outlet near the top. I also have a tap were the bung goes at the bottom of the barrell to empty the drum at the end of the day or get rid of slim build up if necessary.

could you post up a couple of pics mate

thanks

I sorta didnt read the post properly.. I have a removable tank that is plumbed but has one connection (inflow) removable and the outflow is attached to the tank.. I also used a homebrew drum and have a bilge mounted on a pickup plate. My tank is then strapped in near the ladder at the back but gets removed if im taking the kiddies tubing on the lakes..

super easy to do and cost bugger all..

sid, give me a couple of days and I'll knock some up